Featured Post

Just For Fun: 2014 Topps Stadium Club - Best Card Competition

We are nearing the end of the voting for the best card in the 2014 Topps Stadium Club set.  In the previous batch of votes, I chose Babe Ruth over Eddie Murray and Anthony Rizzo over Ted Williams while punting on the Stan Musial / Evan Gattis match-up leaving that up to my readers.

Overall, the commenters generally agreed with my two picks and Musial won over Gattis in a veritable landslide.  

Now, it's on to the second half of the pairings for this particular round:

#42:  Jackie Robinson 


This is an excellent Jackie Robinson card.  I have to say, I'm mostly interested in what all of the people in the dugout are looking at - why are all of them looking at the camera but Jackie is ignoring the camera operator?  I have so many questions but no answers.

#113:  Johnny Bench 


Another excellent card - you can easily make a case for either of these two cards to move forward in the competition.  Alas, to be the best you have to beat all the rest.  The Bench vs. Robinson showdown is interesting since they are both "autograph signing" cards - so who does it better?  My Reds' bias might be showing but I think I prefer the Johnny Bench (mostly because it's a Reds card but also because I prefer color photographs in my modern baseball sets...and also check out the one person's amazing afro in that Bench photograph)!

Next up:

#50:  Mike Trout 


Trout's card shows pure exuberance on a baseball card which I appreciate.  I also love the bright colors and the fact that the majority of a Coors Light beer ad made it onto the card amuses me.

#104:  Nolan Ryan 


From a classic baseball card (Trout) to a dude on a horse.  Seriously though, is Nolan Ryan really this much of a Texas Ranger or is it more a shtick?  I don't know the answer but I think Trout gets the nod for me in this pairing.


And finally, last but certainly not least:

#57:  Jayson Werth 


The Mike Trout card above might be a pure baseball card but this Jayson Werth card might be even a more pure "Americana" card.  Between the green grass, the brown dirt, and all of the stars and stripes of the Nationals' jerseys, you can't help but feel like you are looking at America when you see this particular card.

#90:  Jose Altuve 


I like Altuve (though less than I used to thanks to the Astros cheating scandal) but if I'm being honest, this is probably the weakest card of all the cards up for vote this round.  To me, this is the one matchup that's a sure thing...who knows if I'll end up having to change either of the other two winners based on votes from commenters like you!

That's right, now it's your turn to tell me who you think should win each of the three match-ups from today's post.  Once we get those all decided, we'll have our top six cards from the set...nearly done with this fun vote off (and also, how about some extra appreciation for how great 2014 Stadium Club is)?!

Comments

  1. Tough choice on the first two, but I think Bench is the overall more appealing looking card. Trout over Ryan - That cowboy card reminds me too much of the sets Pacific put out of Nolan Ryan back in the early 90's. Werth over Altuve in a landslide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Jackie Robinson
    - Mike Trout
    - Jose Altuve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, Trout, Altuve. I'm not a fan of the non-baseball pictures like the Ryan, but other than that they're all really good cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before you ever mentioned the afro, I saw that hair - YES! I love the 70s!!! I love Jackie too but believe the photo was posed. The fellow he's signing for is also staring down the camera. Nolan Ryan - he's a cattle rancher. While I was still living in TX, the Rangers' ballpark sold only Nolan Ryan branded beef hotdogs, burgers and brisket. Bias aside, Altuve. I love the action shot and the intensity of his expression. Those are my votes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for:
    Bench - Less posed shot
    Trout - I dont like non-baseball pictures on baseball cards
    Werth - I dont like Altuve

    ReplyDelete
  6. #42, Nolan Ryan, and Altuve.

    Although... I gotta say... the awesome afro almost swayed my vote to the Bench. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going with Bench because of the kid's afro, Ryan, and Werth. Werth/Altuve is definitely the weakest of the three.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment