Featured Post

The March to 50 Completed Sets Continues!

It's Monday again which means it's time for another TCDB weekly wrap-up post!  I can't believe the calendar flips to October later this week...as usual, September flew by (even if it was much rainier than normal in my neck of the woods).

Anyhow, enough of my weather lamentations - you came here for baseball cards and I don't want to disappoint you, my loyal reader!

Let's begin with a PWE from TCDB user Eric Marthaler:


That's a 1998 Sports Illustrated base card of the one and only Tony Gwynn.  I'm nearing the end of my '98 SI set build - only three more cards to go before I can add this one to my list of completed sets for the year!
1998 Fleer Sports Illustrated:
Base:  53, 111, 148
I try to add to my TCDB trade wrap-up post as the week goes on (and then publish the entire thing on Monday) so who knows, maybe by the time you get to read this post I'll be a bit closer to my goal of completing the 1998 SI set - once I'm done here I'm going back to TCDB to see if I can't swing some more trades for the remaining three cards!

Next up, from user twfurey comes another 2021 A&G mini card for my collection:
That's one of the World's Largest cards - this one celebrating (?) the World's Largest Tanker Ship.  According to the card back, this Japanese ship is more than 1500 feet long!  

Let's stick with the same insert set - this time though it was one from user Dmbkoala15:


That's the Uluru Rock - the world's largest monolith (though apparently that title is debatable since the structure is made up of multiple rock types).

Next up, a PWE from user engine614:


That's one of the last three base cards that I'm looking for for my 1998 Sports Illustrated set (the other two cards I'm missing are #53 and #148).

From a bunch of single cards trades to one of my larger trades of the week - this one from user La Loosh.

This swap netted me three more 2021 A&G minis (spread across three different mini sets) plus another new-to-me Larkin card (from 2000 Upper Deck Gold Reserve - a set that I know nothing about).  I'll have to do some digging on that set prior to featuring the card in my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection series of posts!

Back to single card trades now with a PWE from user George1369:


Yep, another World's Largest mini (the Antonov AN-225 Mriya - the world's longest and heaviest plane ever built).  The plane was designed to carry Soviet space shuttles which is kind of cool!  As for the mini set itself, I guess the run on that particular set is over since trading for them has obviously gotten quite a bit easier to do lately!  That being said, I'm still on the hunt for quite a few cards from the World's Largest set as well as most of the other 2021 A&G mini sets:

2021 Allen & Ginter Wants:
Mini inserts:
Good for You:  GFY- 2, 3, 4, 7, 18, 19
Hats Off:  MHO- 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Mascots IRL:  MMI- 3, 5, 7, 9, 14, 17
World Leaders:  MWL-1, 5, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 20
World's Largest:  MWL- 1, 3, 4, 9, 10, 14, 16, 17

That does it for this past week on TCDB.  Once again, not a bad week!

Comments

  1. A *mini* set of "World's Largest" is inherently funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been collecting Gwynn since the 80's... and have been actively searching for his cards since I returned to the hobby in 2008. I've never seen that SI card before. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment