Featured Post

When is a Set No Longer Worth Collecting?

My self-proclaimed "Year of the Completed Set" has been a rousing success thus far - and frankly, even if I don't complete a single additional set in 2021, this year has already greatly surpassed my expectations (in terms of completed sets, not in terms of life itself)!  

Today, I don't have a completed set to show off - but I do have two more cards (from a simple little Sportlots purchase) that get me quite a bit closer to completing a set from 2010!


That's a rather nice Ernie Banks card from the set - one of the drawings where you can actually tell who the featured player is supposed to be!  There's an undeniable charm to this particular card - and it's cards like this that got me interested in National Chicle in the first place!

My other card from the same seller was this Alex Rodriguez - and like the Banks, I think it's a pretty darn nice card:


The featured player doesn't look anything like Alex Rodrigeuz (at least not to me) but I still like the card because of the background - the old timey ads on the outfield wall coupled with the buildings and trees behind the stadium make for a great shot.  This card looks like it belongs in an old timey set - and since that's what National Chicle was going for, I consider this particular card a success despite it definitely not looking at all like A-Rod.  In fact, I can't believe that A-Rod would be particularly happy with this "artistic rendition" of his likeness!

My needs for the 2010 Topps National Chicle set are as follows:
2010 Topps National Chicle:
Base:  287, 299, 302, 308, 311

With only five more cards to go, there's still a chance that I could finish this set off this year.  That'd be great because while some cards in the set are nice (such as the two in today's post), there are enough clunkers in the set that I'm admittedly not overly interested in 2010 National Chicle anymore!  The sooner the set is completed, the better!

Comments

  1. Two down. Four to go. Nice. I love this set. Some of the paintings are awful... but the set is very attractive for the most part. Earlier in the year, I purchased the whole set for less than two blasters and showed off a few of my favorite (and least favorite) cards...

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2021/02/stop-stare-and-appreciate.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your way of collecting this set (buying it one lot) was a better choice than what I've tried to do. I hate to know how much I've spent on this in total (surely I bought multiple blasters when it was first released).

      Delete

Post a Comment