Featured Post

12 Days of Christmas (Day 7): Top 6 Cards from the Next Four Packs of 1997 Limited

Welcome to my latest theme week:  12 Days of Christmas!  Each day, I'll be counting down by one - and with it, a new list that encompasses the day's number.  


For today, we are going to dip back into my box of 1997 Donruss/Leaf Limited.  I've enjoyed using my 12 Days of Christmas series to highlight some of cooler cards from the box - but now that we've seen a lot of the base cards it's probably not a bad thing that I'm only scanning the top 6 cards from the next quartet of packs.

Top 6 Cards from the Next Four Packs of 1997 Limited

Packs 17 - 20:

74.  Joey Hamilton / Brett Tomko


One of two Reds in this batch of packs (you'll see the other in a moment).  Tomko was never a favorite Red of mine but the card is nice enough.

21.  Roberto Alomar / Luis Castillo


I'm still not sure I love the concept of two different players (on two different teams) on the front and back of every base card.  That being said, this is a pretty good one - especially the Alomar side of the card!

38.  Jim Thome / Dave Nilsson


Pretty nice card of Thome, one of those players that I always kind of liked for reasons that I can't explain.  Not quite to the level of considering him a "PC guy" but still, nice card!

154.  David Justice / Reggie Sanders


You can tell what Donruss thought about the Reds in 1997, almost all of them have been relegated to the back of each base card (including Sanders here).  I suppose David Justice does deserve front billing on the card, but still...poor pitiful Reds.

64.  Mark McGwire / Andres Galarraga


Plenty of home run power on this card but the real reason I like this one is that is shows McGwire at the time of his trade (notice the A's uniform but the Cardinal's team designation).  Kind of a snapshot of history if you will.

Fabric of the Game:  Roberto Alomar #40/250


This was a pleasant surprise to pull seeing as how we already found a Fabric of the Game card earlier in our box!  Getting one numbered out of only 250 was just icing on the proverbial cake!

Overall, that wasn't the most exciting four packs I've ever opened but the inclusion of the Alomar Fabric of the Game #/250 made up for the otherwise lackluster showing.  I'm still enjoying this box though my hopes of finding a needed Larkin card keep going down and down which is a bummer!

Comments