Featured Post

A White Whale Captured!

A few days ago, I made a list of my Top 11 Most Wanted Barry Larkins (pre-1991 only).  Coming in at #1 on that list was the 1987 Kahn's card of Barry - and as I mentioned when I originally posted the list, luck was on my side because at that same time I was able to nab a copy of the card off of eBay!

Thanks to my recent mail day, I'm now the proud owner of yet another Barry Larkin rookie card from 1987:


According to my records, Barry has a total of 19 different cards from 1987 and now I own all but two of them (the missing two are the 1987 Fleer Glossy card #204 and the 1987 Broder Indiana Blue Sox "New Reds Machine" card #7).

As you can see from the above snippet from my Excel spreadsheet of my Larkin collection, I'm missing a mere 15 Larkin cards from 1986-1989 (however, the less said about 1990, the better).  

For me, the real question is whether or not I should bust this card out of its plastic shell.  I store all of my Barry Larkin cards in binders (which obviously doesn't work for slabbed cards) so that's almost reason enough to bust it free.  That said, I do have a couple of other slabbed Larkins so this could simply be added to that pile.  Decisions, decisions!

Here's hoping I'll continue to make some more progress on the earliest Barry Larkin cards as the calendar flips over to the year 2022...I'm sensing a possible New Year's Resolution idea here!

Comments

  1. I would say if it was a 9 or 10 to keep it slabbed. But a 7...bust it open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bust it open! I've never been a fan of graded cards and assuming no premium was paid for this white whale I'd be placing it in its proper new home. Congrats on the find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free it as long as you know how! I'd mess it up somehow, haha. I agree with LC, if it was 9 or 10 I'd leave it alone. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very attractive looking card. Congrats on finally landing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice card, regardless of grade. I think I agree with the 'crack it out' crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That card looks clean! I'm with TLC. If it were a high grade, I'd keep it imprisoned. But since it's a 7, I'd pop it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment