Featured Post

TCDB Monday (with darbywasamartyr and wvcabo)

Happy Monday, everyone!  Today is supposed to be around 50 degrees for me so I'm hoping to get outside for an hour or so once I'm done teaching classes for the day.  I could use a day of warmth (and yes, 50 degrees counts as warm when you live where I do in February)!

As usual on Mondays, it's time to take a look at my weekly haul from TCDB.  As I've mentioned a few times already, my trading options over there have slowly dwindled since I haven't added anything new to my trade bait lately (nor have added to my want list).  Still, it wasn't a completely dry week in the mail box and for that I'm happy.

We'll begin with a single card PWE from user darbywasamartyr.  I don't know who darby is, but the user name amused me if nothing else.


That's one of the last few base cards that I needed from the 1999 Pacific set.  In fact, I'm now only missing three more base cards (#260, 296, 425).  

My other trade of the week came from user wvcabo.  This one was interesting because I thought I was trading for a needed Barry Larkin baseball card from 1991 but I was incorrect!  Imagine my surprise when a small box showed up in my mailbox and this is what I found inside:


Yep, that's the 1991 Topps Triple Headers box which contains a tiny, ping-pong-esque ball with the faces of three different players on it.  




In this case, the three featured players were all Reds - Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo, and Eric Davis.  Hard to go wrong with that trio, especially a year removed from the Reds winning the World Series!  As an extra bonus, user wvcabo not only sent me the ball and the original box but I also landed the original candy and the advertisement that was included in the box!  


I had never seen nor heard of the Topps Triple Headers set prior to entering my Barry Larkin collection on TCDB.  That's how I ended up marking the Larkin Triple Headers "card" as a want and here we are...now I have a ping pong ball looking thing to figure out how to display properly!


I'm kind of interested in how or why TCDB counted the Triple Headers set as a baseball card set (the site doesn't count things like Starting Lineup figures, though Starting Lineup cards do count).  I'm also at a bit of a loss as to whether I should include this Triple Headers ball as part of my Barry Larkin Collection proper - that is, does it deserve a placeholder in my binder?  Should it get it's own post as part of my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection?  I have no idea!

Comments

  1. I wasn't familiar with these until a few years ago. I own a couple (can't remember the teams). Pretty sure I still have them sitting in their little cardboard boxes (w/o candy) somewhere. If it were me, I'd consider it part of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely keeping it but I decided it was more similar to Starting Lineup figurines than it was to baseball cards (and for me, I'm only "chasing" baseball cards though I won't turn down other Barry Larkin stuff if it finds me).

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of these before this post. And to my surprise, TCDb does list this 26-ball set/product. There's even an old TCDb forum thread discussing whether these should even be listed on TCDb.

    https://www.tcdb.com/Forum.cfm/Page/S/ID/207354/?MODE=VIEW&ThreadID=19435&C=16

    As far as I can tell, the reasoning goes that it was made by Topps and is a collectible so it is listable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that discussion. Funny that lots of people seemed to be as conflicted as I was!

      Delete
  3. This should not be on the site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment