Featured Post

The Decider: Non-Reds Frankenset - Cards #170 - 179

Part of one of my 2022 New Year's Resolutions is for me to finish putting together the first run of my non-Reds Frankenset.  Basically, the idea of the set is to pick cards numbered 1 -792 and choose the best (non-Reds player) representative for each card slot.  I've been picking away at this project here and there and I can finally start to see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel!

For today, we are taking a look at the stack of cards that I've set aside for cards #170-179.  We've got ten choices to make for new binder representatives so let's get to it!

#170:


The Bob Boone card was the card I thought I was going to pick until I ran across the Jay Bell from 1996 Circa.  That particular card is so unabashedly 90s that I kind of have to pick it since the mid-90s were my childhood collecting wheelhouse!

#171:


I only had three cards set aside for number 171 and two of the three weren't even worth scanning.  At least this Jason Schmidt card has a kind of cool perspective to it (and you can make out a bunch of other teams' hats in the background which I like).

#172:


I should pick the Bob Gibson here but I simply don't care for the card's design at such a level that I'm going to pass on Gibson and grab that much more interesting Nyjer Morgan card instead.

#173:


Fleer Ultra, check.  Ichiro, check.  In the Frankenset it goes, check.

#174:


Ooh, lots of interesting options here without a runaway winner.  I'm going to say that Edgardo Alfonzo cards from 1996 Score is my runner-up...the winner is the Randy Knorr!  Why you might ask?  Well, that Knorr card was one that I remember opening up from one of the few Stadium Club packs my dad ever bought me.  I don't know why that particular image has stuck with me all these years, but since it has it deserves to be in the Frankenset!

#175:


I love the Sputnik card since I'm a bit of a space nerd but I think I have to give the nod to Scott Rolen instead (both for his Reds' connections later in his career but also because I love the slightly offbeat photo on that particular card).

#176:


Oof, three great options here.  I'm going old school here and taking that Rated Rookie logo on the Tim Salmon card!  It does pain me a bit to leave the Cecil Fielder card behind but Salmon gets the nod here!

#177:


Konerko send-off card, enough said.

#178:


Another number with not a lot of great options.  I doubt I have many Topps Opening Day cards in the Frankenset so I guess Zobrist will have to do here.

#179:


Peraza has the Reds' connection (and it's his rookie card) but Ithink I have to take the Chase Utley card instead since that's one of my favorite Topps Heritage sets.  I do like the Clay Bellinger image as well, he was a close runner-up for me for card #179.

Ten more cards down for the set - I'm nearing the end of the first pass (I've already gone through most of the higher numbers since there were fewer options there given that there aren't nearly as many sets with 400+ cards in them).

As usual, I'd love to hear your choices (and reasons) on any that you disagree with me!  Thanks for playing along with me.

Comments

  1. 170 - I would have picked Bell also, or maybe Blake if you're into Anthem cards.
    172 - Morgan is a good choice. The throwback uniform is tempting (even if it is horizontal)
    174 - All the best cards are horizontal, that's such a pain. I'll go with Knorr also.
    175 - Star power for sure, but the photos don't "wow" me. I'll pick Vlad.
    176 - Definitely the Salmon. I always liked that Angles uni, and 1993 Donruss.
    179 - The card of Cody's dad is the winner for me. I'm actually going to add that to my TCDB wantlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The design on that Bob Gibson card is not good, one might even say that it's kind of ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough calls. The PK is my favorite card on the page. Bell, Morgan, Rudi, Altuve, Fielder, and the guy sitting in the chair would be my picks for the other slots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great options here. I think I'd go Bell, Gibson, Millwood, Guerrero, Salmon, and Utley. And I would have chosen Abreu over Salmon if not for another 15 Chisox card following it.

    Also, that Jason Schmidt card just went right to my wantlist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment