Featured Post

Top 9 Cards Pulled from Our SECOND Box of 2022 Topps Stadium Club Chrome!

A few days ago, I showed off my favorite nine cards from a group break box of the brand new 2022 Topps Stadium Club Chrome.  Today, I've got the second (of two) boxes to show off from that same group break.  Once again, I figured a Top 9 would be the way to go as who doesn't love a good countdown?!

#9:  128.  Tony Gwynn - Refractor


You can't go wrong with a nice refractor card of a retired legend!

#8:  Blue refractor:  109.  Eli Morgan (#147/199)


The Blue refractor parallels are seeded 1:13 packs so basically one-per-box (a box contains 14 packs).  The 2022 Stadium Club Chrome set has plenty of rookie cards, though I don't think most people are searching for Eli Morgan when ripping packs.  They are, however, probably looking for a different rookie who will show up later in today's countdown (spoiler alert)!

#7:  Autograph:  SCCUA-GAR.  Gabriel Arias


Another rookie insert, this time a nice on-card autographs of Gabriel Arias.  My main complaint about this card is Arias' "autograph."  There's no way that reads Arias, Gabriel, or really anything closely related to his name.  

#6:  329.  Jeremy Pena


I love a good photo of a guy bunting.  Make it a guy's rookie card and you've really got something special. 

#5:  Trophy Hunters:  RL-9.  Freddie Freeman


I mentioned in the last write-up of 2022 Stadium Club Chrome that I love this super gaudy Trophy Hunter cards.  Such a great flashback to the mid-90s Stadium Club!

#4:  Green parallel:  258.  Austin Meadows (#78/99)


A nice Green parallel (seeded 1:26 packs).  The colored parallels are subtle in this year's Stadium Club Chrome (mostly you can tell by the colored logo in the top corner though there are also some colored lines that extend across the card).  I think the green shows up better on the scan than it does in person but it's still a good looking card overall!

#3:  283.  Ian Anderson


Love the hat.  I have no idea what's happening here but I laughed when I pulled this card from the pack and that's good enough for me to put it in my Top 3 cards of the box.

#2:  301.  Tom Glavine


This card is great though it does leave me with more questions than it answers.  First, why is Glavine ice skating?  Second, why is he doing so in a Braves uniform?  

#1:  Beam Team:  BT-14.  Wander Franco


Who wants a Franco rookie card?  How about we make it an insert?  Ding ding, we have a winner!  

That does it for the Top 9 cards in the final box of the group break.  I enjoyed the break quite a bit - Stadium Club is always nice and making it shiny and chrome-y is also nice.  Probably too expensive of a set for me to build for myself but I did enjoy the process of ripping through a pair of boxes!

Comments

  1. I think on the auto, Arias signed the first and last letter in his first and last name. Maybe not great, but at least something I can make out unlike many others.

    Glavine was an NHL draft pick and chose baseball over hockey (do you remember the '92 Pinnacle card of him in a similar manner?). My guess is the SC photo is from a Sports Illustrated photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, interesting about Glavine - I didn't know any of that. I don't recall that Pinnacle card, I'll have to look it up (I kind of ignored Pinnacle in the early 90s)!

      Delete
    2. It's a Ron Vesley shot. He definitely sold to SI but seems to have worked for a lot more places than that.
      https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/baseball-hall-of-fame-inductee-and-former-1984-nhl-los-news-photo/1192789844?adppopup=true

      He's got a nicer black and white version on his website too.
      https://www.vesphoto.com/gallery-image/Personalities/G0000SU8wkMrUtAQ/I0000ybfAKWsuOvE

      Delete
  2. Both 1992 Pinnacle and Score had subset cards of Glavine playing hockey. Quite a few other publications have used shots from what, as Night Owl notes, definitely looks like a photo shoot, but I could not find any specific attribution to the original source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a frickin cool Glavine card! I have to have one!

    (btw, the L.A. Kings chose him with a higher pick than they used for Hall of Famer Luc Robitaille!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Gwynn is awesome! #1 in my book :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment