Featured Post

Pointless, Dumb, and All Mine.

The Curious Tale of the Card that eBay Said Was Delivered in July...but Only Arrived Two Days Ago!

Back on June 26 of this year, I ordered a Silver Holo parallel of Barry Larkin from the 2023 Donruss set.  I got a notification from eBay that the card was delivered on July 3.  That, however, turned out not to be true as the card did not show up that day.  Nor the day after.  Nor the day after that...nor the week after...nor even the month after!  In fact, I had completely given up on receiving the card (and since the card showed up as "delivered" in eBay's system I couldn't file any sort of non-delivered complaint).  Eventually, I bought a different version of that Silver Holo parallel (one that showed up weeks ago, in fact)!

You know where this story is going...  Flash forward to a couple of days ago and a surprise envelope from eBay shows up.  What's inside?  Yep, that long lost Barry Larkin card!


I have no idea how or why any of that happened.  There was no discernable damage to the envelope.  The card arrived in perfectly fine condition and the address on the front was all correct.  Definitely weird but I'm glad the card finally showed up!

While I'm showing off eBay purchases, I also made one other Larkin purchase (this one showed up in a reasonable amount of time):


That's a 2022 Topps Triple Threads parallel - one of the many base parallels in that particular set!  I'm working on the "rainbow" for that particular card - this is the sixth such version for my collection!  

In the end, I'm glad the story of the missing Larkin card had a happy ending, even if it wasn't a big deal (both in terms of money lost as well as the fact that I ended up getting a different copy already).  While the USPS can certainly get things screwed up sometimes, overall the mail works remarkably well over 99% of the time.  When you think about it, it's kind of amazing that I can take a card, an envelope, and a sticker and combine those items into something that can be dropped in a box and then a few days (or months?) later, that item shows up in someone else's personal box anywhere in the country.  For as much crap as the USPS gets, what they actually do on a daily basis is nothing short of amazing!  

Comments

  1. Better late than never, right? The whole USPS and tracking thing has gotten a little unreliable. I bought a box of cards on eBay a while back that was marked as shipped... but then it was never updated. Then out of the blue it was delivered. The process had both me and the seller pretty nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. USPS has had a lot of trouble tracking envelopes sent via eBay's standard shipping program. One would've thought they'd have ironed out the kinks before rolling it out a couple of years ago, but clearly they didn't bother to do so -- and still haven't done so since.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment