Featured Post

The Quest for 35!

Monday's are for TCDB!

Today is a "holiday" for some:  April Fool's Day.  I guess I'm simply too old because I find the vast majority of April Fool's jokes, posts, etc. to be annoying and almost always not funny and/or clever.  As such, there will be no tomfoolery here at Nachos Grande, just a bunch of cool cards from cool people that traded with me over the past week over on TCDB.

First up, we have cards from user mastodon:


That's three 2024 Topps Series 1 Chrome 1989 Topps Baseball 35th Anniversary cards plus a Barry Larkin card called a Mega Box Foil.  I will say that while the Chrome cards are printed on a relatively thick card stock, the Mega Box Foil cards are printed on much thinner stock (and thus, feel much "cheaper" in hand).  I'm happy to have the Larkin from that set but I won't be chasing any of the other Mega Box foils.  I will, however, continue to chase after this year's 1989 Chrome cards - expect to see plenty more of those cards on the blog (today and in the future)!

Next up, a single card from user cedolan1:


That's the final card that I needed for my 2023 Topps All Aces insert set (Series 1 and Series 2 only)!  I'm happy to report that the set is my first completed set of 2024 - one more set to knock off of the want list for good!

Continuing through this past week's rather large mailbag full of packages, we have a PWE from user bristolbob:



That is another 2024 Topps 1989 Chrome card plus a single base card from this year's Topps flagship set.  Amazingly, that Lugo was actually the final card that I needed to swing a trade for (though it arrived at my house sooner than the rest of the base cards that I had traded for earlier in the week)!

Next, another single card PWE - this time from user Lakesidecollects:



We are heading way back to 2001 for this Topps Gold Label card of Brian Roberts, serially numbered out of 999.  I'm still plugging away at the '01 Gold Label set, though at this point all I need are serially-numbered base cards so it's been a slow go!  Trades like this are why I haven't given up yet though, you just never quite know when a needed card might fall into your lap!

Returning to more trades involving 2024 Topps, the next envelope was from user Eggbert60 and featured nothing but Mariner cards!



I can only assume that Eggbert60 joined in some group breaks claiming the Mariners multiple times.  How else to explain that the only cards I needed from him were all Seattle players?!  The Chrome cards (esp. the Griffey) are particularly nice.

Next, from user edsekula comes a big batch of needed base cards (plus a couple of Chrome cards):


I definitely overpaid for this particular trade but it was alluring to basically complete my 2024 Topps Series 1 base set in one swoop (other than that Lugo card which I've already shown off above).  Sometimes you "win" a trade, sometimes you don't...but for me if I'm getting cards I need I'm generally going to be happy even if I lose on the value side of things.

Finally, we end with a trade with user Stark3K who sent me a fairly large amount of needed 2024 Topps Chrome 1989 cards:



Certainly a nice mix of players in that batch of cards, though I think my personal favorite is the Bobby Witt card.

That's a total of 7 trade packages in a single week, and not a single trick among them.  Happy April Fool's Day everyone, be safe out there.

Comments

  1. I really like the photo used on Ichiro's 2024 Topps 1989 Chrome insert. Don't think I've seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Witt Jr. card. Now I gotta find me one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment