Featured Post

TCDB Monday: The Joy of a Completed Set (from 2011!)

Happy Monday, everyone.  Today is my first day back at work for the semester.  My teaching load is all calculus this fall (two sections of Calculus I and one section of Multivariable Calculus).  While that may not sound exciting to most blog readers, here's something that will excite you:  My most recent trade on TCDB resulted in me finally finishing off a set build from 2011!

That's right, thanks to TCDB user Lakesidecollects, I was able to land the final three short prints that I needed for my 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen set build.  


Truthfully, I probably "overpaid" to acquire these three cards (part of what I sent out was a Clayton Kershaw Stadium Club rookie card) but I was simply too excited to finally finish off the Gypsy Queen set once and for all.  There's not much sweeter than fully deleting a set from my want list!

My next TCDB swap of last week was with user AgsWin99:


Yep, I managed to swing a deal for a needed Barry Larkin relic card.  This one is from the 2005 Topps set, a set that I didn't collect at all in the spring of 2005 as that was my senior year in college.  I had a lot of things on my mind then (graduate school, undergraduate fun, etc.) and baseball cards were definitely not one of those things.  As such, here I am nearly two decades later finally getting my hands on this Larkin relic from 2005!  

All told, another successful week of trading and a great start to first week of classes.  I do expect my trading numbers to go down substantially while the semester kicks off, but hopefully by the time Allen & Ginter is released I'll be back in the swing of things and trading in quantity again!  Enjoy your week, everyone.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on completing the 2011 set! That's always a great feeling.
    The 2005 Topps All-Star Relic I needed for my Royals collection was Ken Harvey. Just a little easier to pick up than a Barry Larkin relic. Congrats on that also.
    Wishing you a great school year. My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher and I recognize all the work teachers put in, at all levels of education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, I think elementary teachers are the real heroes of the educational world. My son just started first grade but we were so lucky to have a great Kindergarten teacher for him. A good teacher makes all the difference - and I can tell you as a college math prof, students that struggle in math can still name to this day the (almost always elementary) teacher that "ruined" math for them.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you finally got that Jon Garland card, how many times I've gone through your wants seeing it and knowing I couldn't part with mine! For that reason alone, congrats on the set completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had known you had that card all along, LOL. It does feel good to be done with the set though I have to admit that I've soured on the GQ brand as a whole now. Maybe because it took me so long to finally track down the last few short prints? I feel the same way about Heritage these days.

      Delete
  3. Happy completed set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great school year! And congratulations on completing your Gypsy Queen set. I understand sometimes overpaying to finish off a set. I just paid almost two bucks for a 1987 Fleer logo sticker to complete that set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sometimes it is worth it simply to get to cross something off of a list. Lists, in general, motivate me *as I stare at a list of things I need to do for the first week of classes*

      Delete

Post a Comment