Featured Post

New* Set to Collect! *from 1998

I've finally finished sorting my 1998 Collector's Choice Series 2 box.  As I mentioned during my box break posts, I plan on completing the full base set as well as both the (common) StarQuest insert and the Mini Bobbing Head insert.  For today, I'm going to focus solely on the Mini Bobbing Head set since that's one where I know I'll need to start working on some trades in order to complete it!

My box yielded a total of 12 different cards from the set.  The interesting bit of that was that the box gave me cards #9 through #20 consecutively.  



Clearly, Upper Deck didn't put a ton of thought into randomizing which Mini Bobbing Head inserts go in each box!

I also went back to my 1998 set binder in which I had tucked away a few Mini Bobbing Head cards from my childhood collection.  I ended up having six of them from back in the day, although only three of them were unique as compared to what I pulled from my recent box break.


Put it all together, I currently own 15 of the 30 cards in the set.  50% done, 50% to go!

Here's the full set checklist:

1 Tim Salmon
2 Travis Lee
3 Matt Williams
4 Chipper Jones
6 Greg Maddux (error in numbering according to TCDB)
6 Cal Ripken, Jr.
7 Nomar Garciaparra
8 Mo Vaughn
9 Sammy Sosa
10 Frank Thomas
11 Kenny Lofton
12 Jaret Wright
13 Larry Walker
14 Tony Clark
15 Edgar Renteria
16 Jeff Bagwell
17 Mike Piazza
18 Vladimir Guerrero
19 Derek Jeter
20 Ben Grieve
21 Scott Rolen
22 Mark McGwire
23 Tony Gwynn
24 Barry Bonds
25 Ken Griffey, Jr.
26 Alex Rodriguez
27 Fred McGriff
28 Juan Gonzalez
29 Roger Clemens
30 Jose Cruz, Jr.

And after removing the cards I already own, here's what I'm still looking for out of the set:

1 Tim Salmon
2 Travis Lee
3 Matt Williams
4 Chipper Jones
6 Greg Maddux
7 Nomar Garciaparra
8 Mo Vaughn
21 Scott Rolen
22 Mark McGwire
23 Tony Gwynn
24 Barry Bonds
25 Ken Griffey, Jr.
26 Alex Rodriguez
27 Fred McGriff
28 Juan Gonzalez

The good news is that I already have a number of the big names in the set (Ripken, Jr. and Jeter) but there are still a few more big names yet to go (Bonds, Griffey, Jr.).  I've updated my want list over on TCDB so hopefully in a week or two I'll have more cards from this set to show off!  In the meantime, if you have any that I still need please let me know, I'd love to work out a trade!

Comments

  1. And just like that, I have a trade in the works for all of the missing cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you'll finish that off so quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment