Featured Post

Prizes for Me! Part 2 of 3: Goodwin Champions

Earlier I posted the first part of a prize package from Brian over at Play at the Plate. Here's the next two prize packs. Part 3 will feature the final pack plus the other "goodies" that Brian included.

2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions:

Pack 3:


14. Donovan Bailey
41. Ted Williams
121. Dustin Pedroia


Mini:
245. Rick Ankiel
Meh, 2 out of the 4 cards were Red Sox. Not much exciting in this pack, though I'll never complain about pulling a Ted Williams card - I love the "old timers" in new sets!

Pack 4:
104. Nate McLouth
118. Bucky Dent
I love the Pirate logo on the front of the McLouth card. Did the Pirates ever use that as an official logo or did Upper Deck just throw it on there for fun? Questions need answers people.

Animal Series:
AS-10. Giant Panda
Uhm, a panda? I didn't know this insert set existed until I opened up this little guy staring back at me behind a card of Bucky Dent. Still, I like eccentric so I like this card quite a bit!

Mini:
68. Matt Ryan

I mentioned last time that I hadn't opened any packs of Goodwin until Brian sent me these. Although I've seen plenty of the cards featured on different blogs, I hadn't exactly made up my mind on whether or not I liked the set. After opening four packs, I think I put my finger on what I DO like about the set as well as what I DON'T like.

I do like:
* The photos. Much more interesting (in general) than Allen & Ginter photos - though I'm a sucker for the A&G type card and never, ever would want Topps to change the basic formula.
* The minis. Another similarity to Allen & Ginter.
* The offbeat inserts. Seriously, a Giant Panda? That's cool - and it beats pulling some stupid crap like Upper Deck 20th Year Anniversary Commemorative Giant Set That No One Wants (or whatever they call it).

I don't like:
* The aforementioned Upper Deck giant insert set that plagues all their products. It's even worse than the Yankee Stadium Legacy because I at least had people who were willing to trade for the Yankee Stadium Legacy cards to take them off my hands.
* Only 4 cards in a pack. If I buy a pack of baseball cards, I expect to get some baseball players...seems like a fair assumption. However, with only 4 cards, it's awfully easy to feel cheated in the "baseball" department...and there are packs that exist with ZERO baseball players in it (hint: my last pack)!
* The thin card stock. I don't know why, but it feels "cheap."
* The backs of the base cards. Boring!
* The different levels of short prints. Ugh. I'm a set collector, so I'm used to tracking down short print after short print...but at some point enough's enough.

Once again, thanks a lot Brian!

Comments

  1. love the Splendid Splinter card

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few packs with 0 baseball players. I've opened 1 (ok 4) blasters and not seen one of those Animal Series cards. Nice pull I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment