Featured Post

Delivery Time! Baseball Card Comeback Hooks Me Up With Allen & Ginter's!

Today marks the first day of school - and so my summer vacation is officially over.  While that's a bummer, I am excited to be teaching once again, this semester I have a pair of sections of Calculus I and a section of The Mathematics of Games and Gambling.  All things considered, it should be a fun semester!

However, while my brain is shifting into autumn mode, my baseball card collection is still clearly on summer time.  Luckily, there are other people out there still thinking in terms of summertime sets as well - including Gregory from the Baseball Card Comeback blog.

Gregory recently sent me a few 2014 Allen & Ginter's cards (some of which I'll show off in a minute) and I was able to help him out with a bunch of his 2014 Heritage needs.  Summer's not dead after all!

I was excited by the trade because Gregory was able to wipe out almost all of the remaining 2014 Topps Allen & Ginter's base cards that I needed.  I'm writing this post a few days before it will go live on the blog - but as of the time of this writing I only need four more base cards for the set (plus a ton of inserts).

Out of the eight base cards from Gregory, my easy choice for favorite is this Sparky Anderson gem.

Oh sure, I wish it showed Sparky as a Red rather than a Tiger, but really it's such a great card that I can't complain at all.  I do think Topps should have at least mentioned Cincinnati by name on the back of Sparky's card so I suppose I do have one minor gripe!

In addition to the base cards, Gregory also had a pair of Pastime's Pastimes that I still needed.

Beltre's pastime is listed as "teammate."  That might take the cake for the lamest pastime that I've seen to date.  Reyes' card says that he has his own reggae album (even though his pastime is listed as philanthropist rather than musical artist).  Pretty cool.

Finally, Gregory also saw that I collect all things Barry Larkin related and sent me four such Larkin cards.  

I know the Pinnacle card is new to me - and that Leaf might be new as well.  That's impressive as I have quite a few Larkin cards in my collection already!

Thanks for the great swap Gregory.  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments