Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Theme Week: Better Know a Blogger (Play at the Plate)

Welcome to "Better Know a Blogger" Theme Week (week 3!) here at Nachos Grande.  A few weeks ago, I put out a call to any interested bloggers to answer a short questionnaire that I had prepared.  The goal of the questionnaire is for all of us to get to better know some of the various personalities on the blogs!  I hope you find this Theme Week as much fun as I did - and hopefully you'll learn something about your fellow bloggers as the week progresses!

1. Your name (or alias):  Everyone on the blogs just calls me Play at the Plate
2. Your blog website:  Play at the Plate
3. What kind of collector do you consider yourself (team collector, player collector, set collector, etc.). Why do you collect that way?
 I’m primarily a team collector (Texas Rangers of course).  That really developed after I started blogging because I had access to so many trade partners.  I also collect a few players (Will Clark, Pudge Rodriguez, Joe Mauer) and catchers wearing gear.  Probably my biggest non-Rangers collection at this point is play at the plate cards, which I love.  Many of them can be researched to find the specific game the play occurred in and that’s fun.
4. In your opinion, what could the major card companies (Topps, Panini, etc.) do to make your style of collecting better for you?
I’m a little OCD when it comes to my team set.  I want EVERYTHING Rangers they make so all the parallels really kill me.  I like parallels to a degree, but sometimes it’s too much.  
5. What is your favorite part of your collection?  This could be one specific item, or a binder of cards, etc.
Since the Rangers only go back to 1972 (1971 Topps) I collect anything vintage.  Team doesn’t matter.  My favorite part of my collection (since I know question 7 is coming) would be my short stack of 1951 Bowman catchers.  I just love the feel of those older cards.  
6. Most of us have a favorite song that we like for no good reason – heck, it might even be embarrassing.  Do you have a favorite baseball card that might fit that bill?  
I can’t think of a card like that, but I did once own a game worn pair of Rusty Greer’s pants.  
7. If you were forced to part with your entire collection except for one card, which card would you keep?
My 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rookie card.  
8. Many of the blogs (including my own at times) seem to decry Topps’ lack of vision and creativity.  Can you think of something creative that could be done for an upcoming card set?  
Four things would make me happy (to start): 1. I would like to Topps to stop using sticker autos.  If it’s less cost effective, put fewer autos in products.  2.  Hire some photographers to take photos with baseball cards in mind.  3.  I volunteer (for a salary of course) to go to games all over the country, procure game used items from players and document it so relic cards can show a picture of the relic on the back and tell me where it came from.  No more generic crap about the item’s origins.  Lastly, being a fan of catchers, I would LOVE to see game worn catchers mask relics with big hunks of plastic in them. 
9. What is your profession?  How did you end up there?  If you are in school, what do you plan to major in and/or what job do you hope to get after graduating?  
I work in Communications/Global Security for an energy company.  I started working here after I left the Navy in 1994.  I did leave for a couple of years to teach 6th graders, but the benefits were terrible so I came back.  
10. What is your favorite place that you’ve ever visited?  Why?  
Hands down it was Sydney, Australia.  The people are friendly, the food is amazing and the sights are out of this world.  
11. Many of us have favorite foods or customs that are somewhat local to where we live.  Do you have any such things that you particularly love?  A website link to specific products would be spectacular.  
I have a couple.  I love chicken fried steak.  It’s a southern thing I think, but the best I’ve ever had is actually at a Tex-Mex place called Matt’s RanchoMartinez.  The other is a place Fuji would go crazy for.  It’s called Canton First MondayTrade Days.  They have about 7000 vendors and it’s open Thursday-Sunday BEFORE the first Monday of each month.  It’s great for all kinds of stuff. 
12. Do you have any other hobbies besides card collecting?  
I have a metal detector that I like to use when time permits (never anymore).   I’m getting very into TeamUSA stuff these days.  I tweet with some of the athletes and about them @bsnider_22.  I do baseball twitter stuff @patpdude.
13. Tell me something interesting about yourself (that we haven’t covered in the first twelve questions).
I was in the Navy for 5 ½ years and served on board a fast attack submarine.  
I must begin with a big thank you to Play at the Plate for letting us Better Know a Blogger!  As always, I've found the process to be quite enjoyable (and so did PatP I hope)!  As for his answers, I liked 'em!  

Let's begin with his favorite place to visit, Sydney, Australia.  I was lucky enough to have also visited Sydney...and if you can get past the seemingly never-ending plane ride there, it's awesome down under!  PatP didn't send along any photographs with his answers but here are a few that I took while in Australia.
The most photographed bridge in the world?!

Up close to the "sails" of the Opera Hall

Inside the Opera Hall

I love the water so I take a lot of photos like this when I travel!

Moving on to the baseball answers, I enjoyed PatP's 4 ideas for improving card sets.  I especially like any idea where relic cards become more interesting (and hunks of plastic from catcher's masks would sure beat plain white swatches any day of the week).  I do wonder what the story is with PatP once owning a pair of Rusty Greer's pants...seems like there is a blog post in there somewhere!

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't at least comment on the chicken fried steak.  I've had that once in my life and liked it - but I'm sure wherever I had it wasn't really "authentic."  Everyone's food answers make me want to drive around the country (or fly around the world in some cases) and sample the local cuisine!   

Many thanks for volunteering PatP!  And yes, there is another week's worth of Better Know a Blogger on the way!  Stay tuned for more!!

Comments

  1. I agree with his view on sticker autographs 100%! Hopefully someone at Topps is reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the write-up Chris!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of the catchers masks in cards. But why stop there how about chest protector's and shin guards? Have you seen those sneaker cards Panini put out? I'm not a basketball collector, but those cards are insane!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment