Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 587: 1997 Donruss Preferred - #109

Barry Larkin
Year:  1997
Brand:  Donruss Preferred
Card number:  109

One of the great things about being a player collector is that you get to sample a whole lot of sets that you probably wouldn't have otherwise touched with a ten foot pole.  The 1997 Donruss Preferred set is definitely a set that I skipped over back in the day.  It was released in 5-card tins with a price-per-card of about $1 each (ouch!).  The set itself is divided up into different rarity tiers - Larkin ended up as one of the "gold rares" seeded 1:12 packs.  There is also a die-cut version of this card (which I've highlighted previously on my blog here).  Larkin also gets a second base card (this time of the silver variety) for which I own the regular version but not the die-cut version (as of the time of this blog post at least).

All told, I now own three of the four Barry Larkin cards in the set which is exciting.  I have to say, the set is actually fairly interesting to me...though I still think a binder page full of gold, silver, and bronze all mixed - plus the occasional platinum card - would look pretty weird.  I think I'll simply be happy with having the three (hopefully four soon) Larkin cards and call it good!

Comments

  1. Yeah... having all of the different tiers mixed into the set was kinda interesting. Mid 90's Finest did it too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment