Featured Post

2018 Panini Donruss: The End of the Box (with a Blue Autograph #/99)

I'm back with the final six packs from my box of 2018 Panini Donruss.  As I stated from the beginning, my goal with the box is to finish off my base set.  At the moment, I still need another eight base cards.  Can I average just over one new card per pack the rest of the way and finish this thing off once and for all?  As a bonus, I should have one more hit to discover as well - perhaps an Ohtani autograph?

Pack 19:

Nothing new here, not a great start.  Still need eight more base cards.

Pack 20:

Oof.  Two packs in a row with nothing new.  Now I need to average two new cards per pack for the final four packs (that doesn't seem likely, does it)?

Pack 21:

Nothing new here either for the base set but I finally have something to scan:

That's my third hit of the box - a blue parallel autograph of Miguel Andujar of the New York Yankees.  While this isn't an Ohtani auto, a quick look at the auto checklist for 2018 Panini will show that I could have done much, much worse with my autograph selection.  Having it be a blue parallel #22/99 is even sweeter.

Pack 22:

And again, no new base cards for me.  I did get another serially numbered parallel...but pulling a Cardinals parallel doesn't excite me in the least.

If you can't read the scan, the Ozuna is numbered 759/999.

Pack 23:

This pack finally (!) had a new base card for me (Adam Wainwright) but it's a different Cardinal card that gets scanned...

That's Carlos Martinez and it's numbered 167/342 in "honor?" of his career 3.42 ERA.

Pack 24:

And in the final pack?  I managed to nab one last new base card...

Overall, I ended up getting 19 new cards for my set leaving me only six cards short of a full set.  Certainly not ideal considering I ripped a full box but it's a lot closer than I was before starting the box.  In fact, six cards is close enough that if I can't acquire the missing cards by trade a purchase from eBay or COMC isn't out of the question prior to the end of 2019 (in keeping with my goal of eliminating sets from my want list by the end of the year).

Oh yeah, I now have a TON of trade bait from this set... Check here to see the full list.

Update:  I now only need 3 more cards to complete my base set!  Go here to see the most up-to-date list of what I need.

Comments