Featured Post

Delivery Time! The Collective Mind Sends Vintage Upper Deck (or Can Upper Deck Ever Actually Be Considered Vintage?)

A lot of collectors seem to love the 1989 Upper Deck set but for my money that set is entirely too dark and blurry.  Oh sure, it has a rookie card of some guy named Griffey, Jr. (that I still don't own) but other than that one rookie card what does 1989 Upper Deck offer anyone? 

No, for my money Upper Deck didn't really get it right until 1992.  I actually kind of liked the 1991 set but I think the '92 set is nearly perfect with an excellent card design, wonderful photo selection (on both front and back of cards), and kind of cool team script names with the occasional flourish (like with the Yankees name with the bat in the script).

Upper Deck also had a few nice subset-type cards including this awesome Rickey Henderson card celebrating his 1000th stolen base.

The above cards (plus a slew of other 1992 Upper Deck cards) were all courtesy of Greg from The Collective Mind

The package also made me think about the fact of whether or not people will start to think of Upper Deck as a vintage set.  My guess is that it won't be much longer until some new bloggers start up, say some 18 year olds and they'll say that 1989 Upper Deck is vintage and, to their eyes at least, they will be correct.  After all, here's a sobering note about how old you are:  Most of today's college freshman weren't yet born when the attacks on 9/11 happened so it's hard to blame anyone of the current era for thinking Upper Deck is vintage!

After time slows for no one but that's the magic of baseball cards - we can all relive our own childhoods!  And for me, 1992 Upper Deck was the first ever full box of cards that I got to open on my own (my grandfather got me a box of 1992 UD as a gift which was an awesome present)!

As for my 1992 Upper Deck set collection?  Well, thanks to this latest swap I'm down to needing only a few more cards before it'll be another set that I can knock off my want list for good.  If you are interested, here's what I still need.

1992 Upper Deck (Note:  all silver holograms, not gold holograms):  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 13, 18, 70, 177, 193, 196, 215, 256, 259, 287, 305, 309, 311, 489, 702, 708, 709, 714, 723, 728, 729, 740, 747, 750, 764, 773, 775, 777, 780, 795
Baseball Heroes:  Ted Williams:  35
Baseball Heroes:  Johnny Bench/Joe Morgan:   39, 40, 42, 44, 45, no number header

Thanks for the swap, Greg!


Comments