Featured Post

Complete Set Chronicles: 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Boston Red Sox Greats

Back near the time when I started my blog, I thought it would be a good idea to create a post for each set that I own that's fully completed.  Unfortunately, that idea never really took off for me (since 2011 I've only written 17 such posts as part of my Complete Set Chronicles series).  Well, here's hoping that I can actually get back on the wagon so to speak and start to crank out some posts showing sets that I've completed along the way.  Personally, I think it's fun to see completed sets and who knows, perhaps you might even get inspired to chase after a set that I've built.

For today, we are going to take a look at the second insert set that I've built from the wonderful 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game set.  I've already shown off the Dodgers Greats set (the first one that I built) and now it's time to look at the next set:  Boston Red Sox Greats.

Like all the team greats sets included in 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game, this set contains exactly ten cards.  As a math guy, I get why people like card sets to have "nice" numbers in terms of set size but as a card collector I think all card companies should be required to make full-sized card sets have a multiple-of-nine size so that no 9-pocket page slots are wasted.

I have the Boston Red Sox sleeved directly after the base set (which I'll show off in a future post since it's also complete now).  As such, the first spot in the first 9-pocket page is actually card #200 (the final base card in the set).

For the Red Sox, on this page we get:
Bobby Doerr
Carlton Fisk
Dwight Evans
Fred Lynn
Jimmie Foxx
Jim Rice
Luis Tiant
and Rico Petrocelli

I'm not well-versed enough in Red Sox lore to comment on whether any major names are missing among first names beginning with the letters A-R (since Fleer used letters rather numbers for the "card numbers").

The final two featured players probably definitely belong in the mix:
Ted Williams
and Wade Boggs

Hard to argue against either of those guys being a Red Sox great!

As for the set overall, I like it a lot.  It's fun to see the Green Monster in the background of the card design (right-hand side) and I like how Fleer even varied the Red Sox logo based on the era that the featured player represented Boston.  It's difficult to find much to complain about here...probably a big reason I decided to chase all of the team great insert sets despite them being a true challenge to put together!

When comparing the Red Sox set to the Dodgers set, I can't help but think that the Dodgers team is more formidable.  Since I gave the Dodgers set an 8/10 in my ranking system, I can't find any reason to give Boston's team set a different score.  It's a solid insert (and as a whole all of the team greats insert sets look better one after another in a binder)!

Bottom line:  8/10.

Comments

  1. I don't think I've ever seen these before! Nice! Off the top of my head I think Roger Clemens is a notable omission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hit me up, I've got extras!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment