Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #10

The White Sox may often get overshadowed by their neighbors the Cubs but at least in my rankings it's the White Sox who get top billing.

#10:  Chicago White Sox (2019 rank:  #9)
Another custom mini by my buddy Ryan
For a long time, the White Sox were my "adopted" AL team.  I was a big fan of Frank Thomas and since he was (almost) a lifelong White Sox, I rooted for Chicago quite a bit.  More recently, the Houston Astros were my adopted AL team but given what transpired there I'm currently without a true American League rooting interest.  I know a few teams that I definitely won't be rooting for (see the bottom portion of my rankings) but there are plenty of decent to good teams out there that I could maybe try to cheer for.

Nowadays, I'm mostly ambivalent about the White Sox.  They have a few young guys that are interesting and I rarely root against the Sox, but I also don't find myself purposely choosing to watch a random White Sox game either.  I mean, if that's all that's on TV it is better than no baseball at least.

One thing that's kind of been interesting about the White Sox is that for quite some time it seemed like there were a fair number of active White Sox collectors on the blogs.  Then, seemingly overnight, almost all the Sox collectors went into hibernation or something.  I rarely get anyone requesting White Sox cards from me these days!

For the next team in the rankings we stay in the AL Central.  Truth be told, the #10 and #9 spots were completely interchangeable for me this year, I basically flipped a coin for which team landed in which slot.


2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#17:  Texas Rangers
#16:  San Diego Padres
#15:  Baltimore Orioles
#14:  Colorado Rockies
#13:  Kansas City Royals
#12:  Toronto Blue Jays
#11:  Oakland Athletics
#10:  Chicago White Sox
#9:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
22  John Sharp
22  P-Town Tom
15  bbcardz
14 hockey kazi
25  Brett Alan
15  Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
21 Matt
2 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher
1 CrazieJoe

Comments

  1. I'll stick with the Twins. As for the Sox, I too was a big Frank Thomas fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much to say about the White Sox. I went to college in the Chicago area, but to the north of the city, so I went to lots of Cubs games. I believe I only went to one White Sox game (of course, the Mets never came to Comiskey then!). Maybe if the Sox had stuck with one of their older color schemes instead of embracing the black, I'd have more interest.

    I guessed the Tigers yesterday, so no reason not to stick with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to watch the early 70s ChiSox play the Tigers (#9- whooooo!), and Beltin' Bill Melton became my favorite player from the Southside.

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually seen a White Sox ballgame (they played the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium a few years ago).

    I'll go with Detroit to be next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Detroit also. The Big Hurt was the man back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I like Frank Thomas, his Nugenix commercials creep me out a little. ("She'll like it too!") I'll say Tigers are next still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there. The Big Hurt should stick to baseball, those ads are super creepy.

      Delete
  7. You would have a place to send them if I ever got this package for you off my desk. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I already dumped a bunch on you not all that long ago! I guess I could start to prepare a second mailing soon. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment