Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #13

We are inching closer and closer to my Top 10 teams in MLB for 2020.  One of the three teams just missing out on my Top 10 is the pride of Kansas City:  the Royals.

#13:  Kansas City Royals (2019 rank:  #16)

The Royals moved up a few spots in my rankings from last year but let's be honest, Kansas City is really nothing more than a perfectly vanilla team.  There are no players on the team that strike me in any particular way, good or bad.  In fact, of all the teams in MLB this year, it might be the Royals that are the most "politician like" in that they seem to stand for nothing and try to appeal to everyone with smoke and mirrors.

While I may sound kind of down on Kansas City, I don't actually mean to be.  The city itself seems like a great sports town and the Royals' home stadium is a place I'd like to see in person some day.  I have no problem rooting for the Royals right now - and in fact, I'd root for Kansas City over quite a few American League teams (just look at my full 2020 rankings to see that but amazingly Kansas City is the lowest ranked team from the AL Central this year)!  All that said, I don't think I'll find myself purposely choosing to watch a Kansas City game on MLB.tv this year.

Next up, we find one of the teams that's within driving distance of my house and a place where I've seen multiple games over the years.

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#17:  Texas Rangers
#16:  San Diego Padres
#15:  Baltimore Orioles
#14:  Colorado Rockies
#13:  Kansas City Royals
#12:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
20  John Sharp
19  P-Town Tom
13  bbcardz
12 hockey kazi
23  Brett Alan
14  Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
19  Matt
2 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher

Comments

  1. It's been fun following your countdown - and happy to see the Jays haven't come up yet...but guessing they may be next. KC does seem to be a team that is just "there" - they don't do anything for me, but aren't offensive either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC has long been my "AL team". Not surprisingly, this started when they had a terrific young third baseman whose last name was interesting to me! After the Mets traded Seaver, I knew they wouldn't be competitive for a while, and the Royals were regularly facing the Yankees in the playoffs. I really liked those teams--Amos Otis, Frank White, Hal McRae, etc.--and it helped when they added Willie Wilson who was from my home area. And those powder blue uniforms! I don't follow them closely these days, but I certainly root for them when they're in the playoffs--except when they come up against the Mets in the WS.

    I'm thinking it's the Phillies next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Tigers fan, KC has been a ROYAL pain since 2014, but I liked Moustakas, and I enjoy watching Gordon play LF.

    I'm very happy, as well, that my Tigers are in the Top 12, and not bottom dwellers, a place they'll likely be again in 2020.

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uniform-wise, KC is the Dodgers' doppelganger, especially in their home whites. The Royals have been relatively under the radar and non-controversial so that's probably a good thing.

    I'll also guess the Philies are next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KC is your lowest AL Central team? Obviously, you haven't sampled enough of the wonderful BBQ places in Kansas City. LOL
    I'm torn between Toronto and Philadelphia next. I'll go with the Phillies, because I don't know how much of a hassle it would be to get across the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought process but I'd actually prefer to drive to Toronto over Philly, at least in terms of getting to the stadium.

      Delete
  6. Hard to believe that their World Championship was just a few years ago. Alex Gordon and Salvador Perez I think are the only regulars left. I'm going to say Detroit is next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been a fan of the Royals. But I did have a soft spot for Dan Quisenberry. Loved that submarine delivery of his.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment