Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #20

My countdown of the 30 MLB teams resumes with team #20 and it's none other than the Reds' old nemesis from the 1990s.

#20:  Atlanta Braves (2019 rank:  24)

For the most part, many teams that I didn't like in 2019 continue to remain near the bottom of my 2020 rankings but with both the Astros and Pirates dropping from top five to bottom 10 there had to be some upward movement among "bottom teams."  The Braves are one such team that benefited from the cheating Astros, at least as far as my rankings go.

So why Braves at 20?  Well, back when I was a kid I basically had the choice of two teams to watch on my TV:  the Cubs on WGN or the Braves on TBS.  I was always excited for the games where the Cubs or Braves would play my beloved Reds...but in the 1990s (especially) it seemed like the Reds could never beat the Braves.  It also seemed like the Braves' pitchers would get an extra three inches off the plate on either side for strike calls but I guess that's a different type of cheating...

While those old wounds hurt still, I do think that time is starting to heal them up a bit.  The current Braves team is full of a number of interesting, young players that I kind of enjoy watching.  Guys like Maddux, Smoltz, etc. have been retired for a long time and Bobby Cox is a name that I haven't even heard mentioned in about a decade.  So yeah, it's probably time to move on from the 90s and allow the Braves to creep back up my rankings!

Next up on the list?  One of (if not the) best players in the sport but that's not enough to move the team into the top half of my rankings.

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
10  John Sharp
10  P-Town Tom
8  bbcardz
7  hockey kazi
13  Brett Alan
9  Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
11  Matt
1 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher

Comments

  1. The Braves were fun to watch when Dale Murphy and Bob Horner were starring in the early 80s.
    Murphy is still one of my All-Time favorite players.

    Sounds like the Los Angeles Trout's of Anaheim are up next.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Mets fan, the Braves are definitely rivals, although I'm quite sure Braves fans dislike the Mets more than Mets fans dislike the Braves. I do have fond thoughts of Hank Aaron and those great 70s unis with the feathers on the sleeves.

    Yeah, it's gotta be Mike Trout and the Angels. No one else is a contender for the title of the best player in baseball as far as I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Braves will always be a Top 10 team for me because I grew up watching them play on TBS. And I've gotta go with John and Brett. If the next team has the best player in the game, then it has to be the Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though the Braves and Cubs game telecasts were everywhere back in the day, I still never watched either of them--unless they were playing the Dodgers. I do remember when I was a kid going to a Dodgers game back in the 70's and sitting in the left field pavilion. Hank Aaron hit a home run that landed one section over from where we were sitting.

    I also think the Angels will be featured next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the rest, must be the Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, TBS...everyone's source for live baseball back in the day! The "if not, the" qualifier in the clue sure does seem like the Angels and Mike trout are due next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment