Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #26

The Red Sox ended up nearly at the bottom of my rankings this year due in part to their cheating scandal.  By that logic, you would think that the Houston Astros would also have made it into my bottom five but for reasons that I'll explain when I get to Houston, they avoided the bottom.  Instead, the last member of the bottom five in MLB right now is none other than the reigning world champs.

#26:  Washington Nationals (2019 Rank:  #27)

If I had to guess, I'd say it's actually fairly rare for a team (other than my favorite team) to win the World Series one year and then actually move up in my rankings the next year.  I tend to root for underdogs typically and being the reigning world champs is the exact opposite of being an underdog.  

I guess in this case the Nationals can thank Boston for cheating since in 2019 it was the Red Sox which held the #26 spot in my rankings.  I will say this about the Nationals, I kind of appreciate their A+ trolling level when it comes to Twitter (and mostly all at Bryce Harper's expense).  

My disdain for Washington is due to a few reasons:
  • First, I felt they did Dusty Baker wrong in how they treated him.  It's good to see Dusty get another chance with Houston even if it's basically the Astros just using Dusty for a year or so.
  • Second, I don't generally like many of Washington's players including the likes of Harper and Strasburg.  
  • Third, no ballpark experience has even been as bad for me as one time when I visited Washington.  I ended up having to pay $40 for parking and I've never really forgiven the club for that.
  • Finally, up until the 2019 playoffs it was actually kind of fun watching Washington flame out in the postseason year after year.  Now that they finally broke through and won a playoff series (never mind the World Series), that curse is lifted which is kind of a bummer.

Now that I've unveiled my bottom five teams in MLB it's interesting (to me at least) that the bottom five was unchanged from last year other than a slight reordering of the teams.  I can say that the next bunch of teams will vary more wildly from what I had ranked last year!

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
4  John Sharp
3  P-Town Tom
2  bbcardz
3  hockey kazi
5  Brett Alan
4  Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
4  Matt
1 Trevor P.

Comments

  1. Huh, I thought for sure the Cubs would be #26, but I also didn't know about your $40 parking experience. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That $40 parking is certainly a reason to start your experience at the ballpark on a bad note.
    The one good thing about the Nationals winning is Ryan Zimmerman, the first ever Nats draft pick.

    Might we see the in state Indians next?

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Mets fan of course I'm no fan of the Nationals. They do seem to have a bit of an attitude toward their rivals. For a while there was the weird thing where they signed Daniel Murphy and he was just insanely good against us--he had a 1.218 OPS against the Mets his first year, in 19 games. I do have happier feelings about the Expos, although I did go to two Mets/Expos games at Olympic Stadium, and that was not a good stadium. (The city was lovely, though.)

    In the absence of any real hints I guess I'll let me guess of the Marlins ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to do better with hints in future posts! That's half the fun of it after all.

      Delete
  4. Whoa, that $40 parking price can certainly be a budget-buster. Ugh! Okay then, will we see the Astros at #25?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to see the Nationals this summer. Any better suggestions for parking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend parking at one of the rail stations and then riding in to the ballpark. It's been a couple of years since I've been to Washington (maybe it's better now) but the last time I went that's what I ended up doing.

      Delete
  6. Parking anywhere in DC is atrocious. I'm going to hold on to my Astros bet for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll guess the Padres have slid a little bit to #25 because Manny Machado.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Brett for getting the next team correct (even without any particularly useful clues)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. $40 is crazy. But I wanna say that's how much I spent the last time I went to an A's game at the Coliseum. The Nationals are one of those teams I'll quietly root for since they have a few players I enjoy watching (Suzuki, Soto, and Scherzer).

    ReplyDelete
  10. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment