Featured Post

Blue (La Da Dee Da Da Da)

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #3

We've made it to my Top 3 teams for 2020.

#3:  Seattle Mariners (2019 rank:  #6)

The Seattle Mariners moved up three spots from last year and now reside in the number three place in my rankings.  My love for Seattle has grown over the years but I've always liked the team (going all the way back to the Ken Griffey, Jr. days).  Seattle gets even more adoration from me now since I was able to visit the city (and had a great time despite not actually seeing a ballgame there).  In fact, out of the many, many cities that I've been to in the US I think Seattle is one of my favorites (other favorites include San Antonio, TX and Burlington, VT).

For 2020, I'm not expecting a lot of out of the Mariners (I think they even have said they are "rebuilding" or at least that they weren't likely to be a playoff team in 2020).  That said, I am looking forward to seeing what ex-Reds' minor league star Shed Long can do for them.  From what I can tell, it seems that Long has a real chance at making the Opening Day roster, possibly even as a starter.  The Mariners also have Vogelbach who's fun to watch hit (he reminds me of Wily Mo Pena at the plate).

Next on the rankings we get to our penultimate team.  While there shouldn't be any way a loyal reader gets the next guess incorrect, I'll still count a correct guess as +2 entries for the contest. 

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#17:  Texas Rangers
#16:  San Diego Padres
#15:  Baltimore Orioles
#14:  Colorado Rockies
#13:  Kansas City Royals
#12:  Toronto Blue Jays
#11:  Oakland Athletics
#10:  Chicago White Sox
#9:  Minnesota Twins
#8:  Philadelphia Phillies
#7:  Arizona Diamondbacks
#6:  Tampa Bay Rays
#5:  Detroit Tigers
#4:  New York Mets
#3:  Seattle Mariners
#2:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
29  John Sharp
31  P-Town Tom
26  bbcardz
20 hockey kazi
35  Brett Alan
29 Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
31 Matt
2 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher
1 CrazieJoe
1 Brian
5 OhioTim

Comments

  1. Well, if I counted right, the Indians should be #2.

    As for the Mariners, I'm old enough to remember when the came into the A.L. and have like several of their players, such as former Michigan QB Rick Leach, John Olerud Junior, Edgar Martinez, and, if course, Ichiro...who couldn't love that guy!

    I was a big fan of Dee Gordon, until he tested positive for PEDs...as well as Robinson Cano...he should change his name.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I like the Mariners OK...certainly like the use of teal and green in their various unis over the years. Like John Olerud, like Randy Johnson, like Ken Griffey Jr. A-Rod not so much, I guess, but if he saves the Mets from the Wilpons I might come around on him.

    Well, either it's Cleveland next, or you've totally changed your fandom...and I know THAT ain't happening! That's not how we baseball fans roll. So Cleveland it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only American League team I ever cared much for is the Angels and even they are second to my Dodgers. So Seattle has never been a team I pay much attention. I just recognize a bunch of their past and present players from baseball cards. Still, I was quite impressed that they won 116 games in 2001.

    I'm going out on a limb here to predict Cleveland is next ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how someone from the team felt the need to announce that they don't expect to make the playoffs in 2020... Newsflash... No one else expected you too either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seattle needs to bring back the trident hats. Those were awesome. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the Indians have leapfrogged their way to #1, leaving the Reds up next! (Just kidding - Indians all the way for #2!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it harder to like Seattle now than I did few years ago. Despite my tendency to root for the underdog always placing the Mariners near the top of my list, sometimes it feels like they aren't even trying to win up there in the Pacific Northwest. I hope they do someday and prove me wrong.

    Barring an ENORMOUS upset for #1, it looks like the Indians will come in at #2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seattle is one city that I would defintely like to take a baseball road trip to one day. But nothing will ever come close to number 2 on your list, my Cleveland Indians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gave Vogelbach some love! That made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a little too late to the party to put in a contest entry... but I will say this. If the A's weren't my AL team, I'd probably root for the Mariners. I love the city of Seattle so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really can't in good conscience make the obvious guess here, but kudos to the commenters who really stayed active with this theme!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment