Featured Post

My "White Whale" Has Been Hooked! (Original 1889 Ginter Edition)

Loyal readers may recall that I've been working on the 1889 Allen & Ginter 50 Fish from American Waters set since 2012.  In my earliest post mentioning the set (found here) from April 2012, I bought a pair of cards from the 50 Fish set (along with a card from the Game Birds set).  That "purchase-on-a-whim" ended up being the spark that lit yet another set collecting fire in my brain...  I couldn't help but think how awesome it would be to actually collect an entire 50 card set from the 1800s.

Since 2012, I have slowly picked away at the 50 Fish set.  As I managed to acquire more and more fish cards, it became harder and harder to find new fish cards that I still needed (at a price that I was willing and able to pay).  In fact, I found the second-to-last card for my set way back in September of 2018 (post here).  That means it took me about another year-and-a-half before I finally was able to track down the last card needed.

Which fish proved to be the slipperiest of the bunch?

The Striped Bass!

This is only the third original A&G card that I acquired in graded form.  I haven't done it yet but I'm fairly close to breaking the three slabbed cards out so that I can actually fill out all my binder pages properly!  That said, for now this card can live in its plastic home. 

I've also created a full image gallery of all of my personal A&G 50 Fish cards here if you'd like to take a closer look my the full set.

In total, I now own the entire 50 card original set plus I picked up a (fake) vintage-looking poster for the fish set.  I also bought a copy of the original collector's book for the fish set.  I could have sworn that I had shown that off previously on my blog (this was a purchase from years ago) but I couldn't find the post while writing this particular post.  I guess I ought to show that off at some point in the near future since it's both an awesome addition to my set but also a gorgeous piece of artwork in its own right!

It feels awesome to have the 50 Fish set complete - and it even helps me with my 2020 Blog Resolutions of whittling down my want list since this is now the second set that I've been able to remove from my want list this year.

Comments

  1. Whoa, that's some accomplishment! Congratulations on the completed set, and congratulations for being able to stick with it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Congratulations on completing a 131 year old set. That's flippin' awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine how much fun it must have been chasing this set. Thanks for sharing your success story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great catch! slippery little fellow came in his own tank too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing to put together a set like that. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! They'll look great in 20-pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment