Featured Post

Group Break RECAP: 2000 Pacific Private Stock

 Our 2000 Pacific Private Stock group break was a complete success if you ask me.  In the break, we opened an assortment of bonus packs (more on that in a second) plus the main event: a retail box of 2000 Pacific Private Stock.


If you don't want any spoilers, here's the video for this break (both the 2000 Pacific Private Stock and the 1999 Topps Stadium Club breaks are in one video).



Before I get to the highlights of the Private Stock box, I'd be remiss if I didn't show off one of the cards that we pulled from the bonus packs.  For the past several breaks, I've included a couple of packs of 1989 Bowman...and if you know anything about that set you know that the highlight is the Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie card.  



Boom!  That's a gorgeous looking card and one that was certainly hoping to pull! 

I like to include bonus packs in all of my group breaks and it's always fun to pull something legitimately good out of a bonus pack.  This is a sweet bonus for the Mariners' spot in the break.  I also like including bonus packs because that way everyone has more of an opportunity to get some cards of their team(s).  For this particular break, I believe every single team (except the Angels and my Reds) received at least one bonus card (and as it turned out, every team received at least one card from the Private Stock box).  As a group break host, I can't ask for much more than that!

Moving on to the main event:  2000 Pacific Private Stock retail box.



I ended up with a pair of Reds.  For some reason, my brain told me I didn't yet own that Larkin when I pulled it from the box but it turns out that not only do I already own it but that I've already written a post about it (back in 2018).  The base set is nice - there's a sort of artistic quality to it (and it's helped by the thicker card stock).  

Another thing that I didn't realize as I was busting the cards is that the 2000 Private Stock set has 25 base rookie short prints.  Going back through the cards, we ended up pulling four short prints:  Russell Branyan (Indians), Robert Fick (Tigers), Tony Armas, Jr. (Expos), and Vernon Wells (Blue Jays).

Each pack of cards comes with a pair of mini cards.  The regular mini set is 60 cards total so it's only a partial parallel of the 150 card base set.



I was happy with our assortment of minis - especially when you look at some of the star power we pulled!  Getting Griffey, Thomas, Jeter, A-Rod, Gwynn, and many, many more makes for a fun group break for all participants!

Next, to the inserts.  From what I could tell when I originally researched the Private Stock set, we were only promised one insert set:  Extreme Action.  Seeded 2:25 packs, odds would suggest our box would hold two of them but we actually only got one.  



At least it was a nice one though there was a little chipping as some of the mini cards were stuck to the front (or back) of other cards within the pack.  Still, for a twenty-year-old product, not bad.

On a brighter note, we ended up pulling a pair of the silver framed, retail only parallels.



I was definitely hoping for a Larkin Silver framed card for my own collection but no dice there.  Instead, we got a Silver Frame for the Marlins and then a short print Silver Frame for the Padres.  The Preston Wilson is #079/199 on the back and the Mike Darr is #047/199 on the back.  

And finally, our last prize for this particular group break was a mini insert:



That's a PS-Stars mini card of Frank Thomas, numbered #056/299 on the front.  This was a super awesome surprise to have fall out of the pack...and I'm so happy it went to a White Sox fan in Jeff L.

All told, three serially numbered cards plus a slew of nice looking base cards (and mini cards) made for a fun break.  Throw in the extra packs, including a Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie card, and I think that this has to go down as a super successful group break! 

Speaking of successful group breaks, I'm hoping that my next group break will be just as successful.  I'm sticking with the late 90s, early 00s theme with a box of 1998 Topps Stadium Club "The Evens" (i.e. Series 2).   This promises to be a huge box - 24 packs, 9 cards per pack, so there ought to be something good for everyone in there.  For full break details and to sign up, follow this link.  

A big thanks to everyone who continues to support my group breaks - I love hosting them but I can't do it without lots of support.  I'm also pleased to continue to offer affordable breaks filled with all sorts of goodies - and if you want to keep up with all of the group break happenings I encourage you to join my Facebook group break page.

PS:  After I get all of the cards from this group break sorted, I'll do a wrap-up post for the second box that we opened this past weekend.  Look for that post soon(ish).

Comments

  1. I watched both breaks even though I wasn't in either. One Dodger was pulled that I think I need (not sure). This is why I am hesitant to enter late '90s breaks. All I ever see are Braves, Indians, Yankees and Ken Griffey Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the vid yesterday. I was pretty happy with the Private Stock, especially that Thomas mini. I honestly don't remember getting any in the Stadium Club but I was watching the Sox game at the same time so I could have just missed them.

    Thanks for the breaks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment