Featured Post

A New Patch Card for my Collection!

One of my favorite sets to come out in the last decade or so is the 2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs set.  I first received a box of the set for my birthday (if memory serves) and then over the next couple of years picked up a couple more additional boxes.  From there, it was a bit of trading and a lot of purchasing (eBay and COMC) to help round out most of the set.  

At this point, there's only two more insert sets remaining that I'm trying to finish - the wonderful shadow box set called Predators of the Seas and the equally cool manufactured patch set simply titled Age of the Dinosaurs Patch Cards.

The patch card set is a real beast of a thing to collect.  First, the checklist spans 60 cards.  The 60 cards are split across four different rarity tiers (the most common being 1:32 and the remaining tiers being 1:84, 1:179, and the rarest 1:578).  

The common tier has 30 cards in it and I'm pleased to report that I've finished that tier.  The uncommon tier has 15 cards in it and I still need* 5 from there.  The rare tier has 10 cards, of which I'm still missing 7.  And finally, the ultra rare tier has only five cards but I still need all 5 (and probably always will, they go for triple digit prices typically and that's insane for a manu-patch)!

*prior to today's eBay purchase.

That brings me to today's eBay purchase - a manupatch of the venerable Stegosaurus. 


The tried-and-true dinosaur (and probably one of the few that almost anyone on the street could name) happens to be one of the uncommon patches (1:84 packs).  This leaves me needing only four more from this particular tier (Triceratops, Spinosaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, and Dilophosaurus).  While I probably won't chase down the ultra rare patches, I do hope to eventually finish the other three tiers - and I most certainly hope to finish the uncommon tier since I'm still missing three rather famous dinosaur types!  

Oh yeah, if you were wondering how I had all of the above data at my fingertips - well, as any mathematician worth his salt would do, I've got a full spreadsheet for this particular set!


On the off chance that anyone reading this has some dinos from this set available for trade, here's what I'm still searching for:

2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs:
Inserts:
Patch cards:   36, 38, 39, 40, 43, 44, 47, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60
Predator of the Seas:  1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 15, 16, 21

I do have three more of the patch cards on order from COMC...but it's a long waiting game with that site right now in terms of when cards will actually be shipped out.  No reason to rush a set like this...it's not like there's an asteroid about to wipe us all out or anything, right?!  Too soon?

Comments

  1. Upper Deck has done a few of these tiered manufactured patch sets that are very attractive. My COMC order was delayed for a long time... however I've seen at least two blog posts featuring shipments that took place within 30 days of requested shipment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe that the top tier cards sell for so much, but then again, people fork over large sums of money for silly things all the time, so what's one more?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment