Featured Post

The Quest for 35!

The Last of my COMC Order!

Today, I'm excited to show off the last of the cards from my recent COMC order.  Buckle up for some Barry Larkin goodness!

Let's begin with a pair of 2019 Panini Prizm parallels:


The green one is known as "Lime Green Circle Donut" while the red one is known as "Red Mojo."  Fun names, to be sure - and I'm guessing if/when I acquire the many, many other parallels of this card from the same set that they'll look pretty sweet all together on a single binder page!   Both of the Prizm parallels are serially numbered as well (the Lime Green out of 199 while the Red Mojo is out of 299).  

We'll stick with the shiny theme for one more card, this time from the 2001 Donruss Elite set:


This particular parallel is numbered out of 975 - interesting how that was considered "rare" back in 2001 but if you flash forward to 2019, then all of the sudden parallels are numbered out of 300 or less and considered "commons."  I'll stop there though on my little diatribe before I'm just an old man yelling and shaking my fist at the clouds.

My next purchase was a dumb one but it was a card I "needed" for my Larkin Collection:


That's a 2001 Donruss Rookie Reprint of Larkin's 1987 Donruss card (which I own all too many of)!  In fairness, this card is actually much rarer (it's numbered out of 1987).  It's also not a true replica since the card stock is much thicker than the old '87 Donruss set.

Sliding back a few more years, my next purchase was the 1998 Upper Deck Retro insert:


This is a Time Capsule insert from the '98 Upper Deck Retro set - a set that was probably best known for being released in lunch boxes rather than the usual hobby boxes.  Honestly, it was kind of cool gimmick and I still have a couple of those lunchboxes on display in my "man cave."

Speaking of things on display, next up is a 1998 Kenner Starting Lineup card:


I don't actively collect Starting Lineup figures - the closest thing I have in my collection is a couple of Barry Larkin bobbleheads but I do chase after the Larkin Starting Lineup baseball cards!  Glad to have this one as finding oddballs such as the Kenner Starting Lineup cards isn't always easy!

Finally, speaking of things that aren't always easy to acquire - how about a Barry Larkin relic from 2003?


That's a Donruss Classics "Dress Code" insert which happens to be numbered out of only 500 copies.  I love the red pinstripe on this one - and the fact that's a game-worn serially-numbered relic makes it even sweeter.  There are tons and tons of Larkin relics (and autographs) that I don't own so anytime I do get the chance to grab one that I need, I definitely do so!

That does it for my most recent COMC order - in my eyes this was a great bunch of cards to buy!  Love getting Larkin parallels, oddballs, inserts, and relics and I ended up with at least one of each of those in this particular buy.  


Comments

  1. Love those gimmicky lunch pails. I'd love to one day own a Kobe Bryant. If I ever find one at a flea market, I'll definitely use it to bring my lunch to school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment