Featured Post

Dinged Corners asked: Best Topps Stadium Club Card

One of my favorite blogs is Dinged Corners for their unusual look at the hobby (and occasionally other topics). For instance, while the rest of talk about the cards we need or the cards we pulled, Dinged Corners discusses what makes an ideal baseball card or why they don't deserve the hobby. It's that unique look that reminds all of us that the hobby is exactly that, a hobby - something for fun.

With that, Patricia and Lucy cooked up another interesting challenge, this time each reader is supposed to pick out his or her favorite 2008 Topps Stadium Club card (based on picture). Now, I don't have the full set (a second shameless plug for my want list), but I have enough of the set to have a decent selection of cards to choose from.

Of course, I couldn't narrow my pick down to only one...so, starting with honorable mention....

Honorable Mention:
#68: Gary Sheffield
In this photo, Sheffield waits ominously while the Yankees switch pitchers in Comerica Park. You can clearly see some of the skyline, the Pepsi logo, and (I believe) Joba Chamberlain walking off the field. I don't know for sure though, because the pitcher has #44 on (if my eyes don't deceive me)...but #44 is retired for the New York Yankees (Reggie Jackson's number).


Third Place:
#125: Josh Banks
Banks is a rookie pitcher for the San Diego Padres. In this shot, one would assume at first glance that the batter is the subject, but a closer examination shows the clarity clearly on Mr. Banks. It's almost as if the photographer was saying "I know there's a batter in the way, but I don't care. I'm taking a picture of the pitcher." Somehow, it works for me...plus it's a rookie card (and probably a much cooler rookie than one of those silly 4 player head shot rookie cards...ok, ok, bad example).

Second Place:
(tie) #91 Jackie Robinson and #98 Roberto Clemente
I actually like all of the retired player shots in the set, I actually wish there about 10 more of these in the set! However, of the cards I have, the Clemente and Robinson cards both stand out. In fact, when I first opened a pack with a Clemente card I actually said "wow!" If a picture does that, it's gotta be good. The Robinson card didn't have the same immediate effect on me, but a look at Jackie's smug smile and you know he's about to step up to the plate a crush the baseball.


First Place:
#5 Russ Martin
In an upset for the ages, Martin edges out the retired superstar duo of Robinson and Clemente for the best 2008 Topps Stadium Club picture. This card has it all - a play at the plate, visible determination on Martin ad Nady's faces, a flying helmet, and a blocked plate attempt. You can even see the tip of Martin's mask that he through up the line anticipating the throw home. It's pictures like this that make me want to go out in the yard (if it weren't snow covered) and play a game of pickup baseball like I used to in my "youth".



Many thanks to Dinged Corners for the blog suggestion.

Comments

  1. Those are great choices. That Martin one is less a baseball card and more like a poster. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Lester...that Martin card is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Martin card is my second place. I really like the Joba card a lot. But that Martin is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:31 PM

    chris, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also liked Russ' card...even if it appears Nady was safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was planning on adding my best of the rest series to my blog with regards to the Stadium Club cards. Some of my "honorable mentions" would include:

    Tom Seaver 100 - awesome card that captures the dominance of one of the game’s greatest as he stares down a batter.

    Evan Longoria 108b - The pose captured on this card makes one of the games brightest young stars look iconic.

    Manny Ramirez 82 - I don't care if it's photo-shopped it's still an awesome card

    Joe DiMaggio 94 - Just because I can say: "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What’s that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin’ Joe has left and gone away.” Each time I look at the cut-out version of this card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment