Featured Post

Turning a Dime into Actual Dollars

When I was posting on Sporting News, I ran a frequent blog series bluntly called "Websites You Should Know About." Each entry in the series usually highlighted a sports related website and a non-sports related website. While I don't have immediate plans to resurrect that series, I thought I'd share a couple of websites with you that I use all the time - especially at work (like right now when I don't have access to baseball cards).

Sports Related:

CentSports:

A number of months ago I stumbled upon a website called CentSports, but only now have I had enough success to mention it... CentSports is a free sports betting website - the site gives you a dime to start with, and a whole bunch of games to bet on. The idea is that a sequence of well-placed bets will turn that measly dime into actual dollars. If you manage to get over $20.00, you can "cash out" and recieve real money for your expert betting.

In the beginning of my time on CentSports, I was lucky to ever get above $1.00 before plummeting back to zero (if you run out of money, you get to start back over with a brand new shiny dime for free again - over and over if necessary). Thanks to March Madness and some tennis bets, I managed to get my account up over the $10.00 threshold (before losing about 3 bucks last night on baseball games...clearly I shouldn't bet on things I actually know about...)

If you like fantasy sports (or gambling using someone else's money), you might find CentSports fun...and hey, maybe you'll even be able to make money (just remember, if you heard it here I'd be happy to "split" any check you get)!

Non-sports Related:

Pandora:

Another site that I frequent is Pandora. Pandora is a free "radio" site that allows you to play songs without the annoying, audio advertisements on so many other websites. On Pandora, you simply type in an artist name (or song name) and then Pandora automatically creates a custom playlist for you. As you listen, if you like the song, give it a "thumbs up" and Pandora will play more songs that are similar in style to the song you thumbed up. Don't like the song? Give it a "thumbs down" and Pandora will never play it again for you on that station (you can have multiple stations - one for each of your moods perhaps?)

Like CentSports, Pandora seems to derive its income from the onsite advertising, which results in a free, fun website for all of us! In fact, I usually have Pandora playing in the background of my browser so I never even see the ads.

If you haven't check out either of these sites, I encourage you to. Earn money, listen to music you like, and check out my want lists for trades...sounds like a good plan to me!


PS: Go Reds. The dream of the 161-1 season isn't out of reach yet...

Comments

  1. I've heard great things about Pandora. Unfortunately, due to CANCON, the Canadian government does not allow it, or any other radio or television webcasts into the country.

    Welcome to east Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girlfriend is a little more internet-savvy than I am and she comes up with things that I'd never even know to look for. She showed me Pandora a year and a half ago or more and it's been one of the most useful things I've ever seen.

    I listen to some pretty obscure heavy metal and prog, and I've found very few bands that Pandora doesn't know and I've found a lot of great stuff that I never knew existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pandora is going on my computer about 90 percent of the time when I'm blogging. It's great. I believe it half inspires my posts! (Or not).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah Pandora's awesome I use it at work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:30 AM

    I a centsports user and I found baseball to be the easiest to win on. What's your user ID, we can share our winnings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there -

    I'm the Founder of BettorFan.com which is a free sports betting website. If you are looking to join a betting league with your friends you should check us out. We offer $.25 to start with and you can cash out at $10.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment