Featured Post

Delivery Time! Tons of Free Cards from Mark at Stats on the Back!

Right before I left for Greece, I received a huge box full of cards from Mark over at the wonderful Stats on the Back blog. Mark sent me a big 'ol pile of 1985 Topps cards that I needed and an even bigger pile of Cincinnati Reds cards...and all of these were unsolicitated and unannounced but much appreciated!

First, a whole bunch of 1985 Topps cards knocked off my want list. The '85 Topps sets is one of the few sets from the 80s that I don't currently have complete...this box certainly brought me closer to that goal.

Second, and perhaps a bit more exciting (to me at least), a whole bunch of Reds including a bunch I didn't have before...

A few older players and manager cards, including a 2005 Upper Deck Classics card of Sparky Anderson (I never even heard of this set) and a 1990 Swell card of Reds great Johnny Vander Meer.

A bunch of players from my lifetime, including some of my favorite past Reds such as Chris "spuds" Sabo and Sean "the Mayor" Casey. If I haven't mentioned it before, I absolutely love Pacific cards...the 1999 Pacific Private Stock of Sean Casey is an amazing card...and a set that I only had one or two cards from. As for the '91 Donruss set, that's a set that I'll someday fully collate and hopefully finish off - I'm a sucker for its simplicity...plus the Diamond Kings!

A couple of cards of the best recent Red that no one (but me seemingly) appreciated, aka Mr. Adam Dunn. I didn't have either of these cards, in fact, I didn't have a single card from either of these sets until now! The 2005 Fleer Authentix card is pretty cool, and one of the first cards I've ever seen that gives a statistics line of how a player did against .500 teams.

And last, but certainly not least, seven different Barry Larkin cards. I always like Larkin cards, but it's even better when someone sends me one I didn't previously own. Mark upped the ante big time by sending me FOUR Larkin cards that I didn't previously own. Each will get its own time to shine in my Barry Larkin Collection series, but I couldn't help but scan my favorite of the four as a bit of an early preview!

Many, many thanks Mark - and keep an eye on your mailbox in the upcoming week or so...

Comments