Featured Post

Group Break - "old school" O-Pee-Chees from Baseball Dad

A couple of weeks ago, Jack (aka Baseball Dad) from All Tribe Baseball hosted an O-Pee-Chee 3-box break. For a paltry 4 bucks (barely enough to cover shipping as it turned out), I landed a whole bunch of Cincinnati Reds cards - all new to my collection. In addition to the O-Pee-Chees, Jack also threw in a bunch of random Reds cards to complete an awesome mail day box!

Let's take a look at the O-Pee-Chees first:

1992 O-Pee-Chee:

As you can see, the '92 O-Pee-Chee look just like their 1992 Topps counterparts. I always loved the manager cards in the '92 set since they showcased the stadiums that the corresponding teams played in. It's strange that only a decade and a half (wow!) later, many of those stadiums are no longer in use...


1993 O-Pee-Chee:

Unlike the 1992 set, the 1993 O-Pee-Chee set featured a different design than the corresponding '93 Topps set. It's not a particularly remarkable design, but it's clean and relatively pleasing to the eyes. I do wish they used the actual team logo instead of the cursive font at the top, but otherwise I kind of like it.


1993 O-Pee-Chee Premier:

I expected the "Premier" set to live up to its name, but this was clearly the most disappointing of the three sets. A whole bunch of profile shots with the sky as a background? No thanks. And to top of the photo disaster, the back features a second picture...also with the sky in the background. Not all that "premier-esque" if you ask me.


Pretty cool stuff. There was also a Barry Larkin in each of the three sets that I received, but those will get their own special post as part of my Barry Larkin Collection. I was quite excited to add three more new Larkins to my collection!

In a later post, I'll show off some of the other Reds that Jack sent along, many of which I had never seen before!

Comments