Featured Post

My New Year Resolutions: Sports Edition

I'm a few days late, but I'll blame it on being a professor - you see, my new year doesn't start for another week....so you'll have to forgive me! That said, here are my New Year's Resolutions - we'll see how many I actually manage to keep.


1. Visit a MLB Stadium that I haven't yet been to.
This shouldn't be too difficult since I live in Pennsylvania and there are a couple of stadiums relatively close to me that I haven't yet visited. The prime choices are Fenway, the new Yankee Stadium, or the new Mets Stadium (whatever it is called).

2. Finish at least three of the sets on my current want list.
I would like to keep my set completion aspirations under control, and since I know there will be sets in 2010 I'd like to collect I need to "make space" on my want list by completing some of the older sets that I'm currently working on.

3. Continue blog trading.
I was nominated as a blog trader of the year which I was humbled by - and hopefully if all goes well I can be nominated again next year! I hope to be able to knock resolution #2 off the list by using resolution #3. That's called good planning folks - two resolutions that can be completed at once.

4. Attend at least one Cincinnati Reds game.
This may or may not coincide with resolution #1. Chances are it won't - so I'll probably have to make the trip to either Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland to see my Redlegs play this year.

5. Make a blogger happy as a surprise.
I don't have the funds to buy many expensive sets - and most of the sets I choose to collect are usually light in the "hits" department anyhow...but I'd still like to pull something that I know another fellow blogger would love and send it his or her way as a surprise. I've done this a number of times with cards, but I've never pulled anything overly special to do so.

6. Continue growing my Barry Larkin Collection
(And as an addendum, continue scanning and posting my Barry Larkin cards that I already have.) I'd like to have the definitive "go to" site for Barry Larkin cards!

7. Be more a more visible blog presence.
I've become fairly proficient at publishing posts on my own blog, but now I need to branch out and comment more often on other people's blogs. I read a ton of blogs each day (that's why my blog roll is over 100 blogs strong) but I don't usually comment on each blog I read. I know that I love to read other people's comments on my blog - and I'm sure other people feel the same way...so that's something I need to make an effort to remember and do!

8. Come up with a contest.
I've got some (diabolical) ideas already in my head...it's a matter of time and energy for me to turn my ideas into what I hope will become a classic contest up there with the Ginter Code contest from last year's A&G set. The only problem for me is that I need to come up with a decent enough of a prize to persuade people to participate!

9. Finish my MLB Team Rank blog series before the regular baseball season begins.
I (most likely) won't finish before spring training, but it'd be nice to complete the series before the regular season...

10. Add more variety to the blog.
Currently, my blog is probably 75-80% baseball cards, 10% baseball, and the remaining 10-15% other things (such as cooking, origami, photoblogging, and politics). I'd like to increase the variety in my post topics in order to appeal to more people...and to break up the monotony of pack breaks and mail day postings.

Comments

  1. Hey man, I've got a Larkin jersey card going up as trade bait tomorrow if you need it/are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I had the Reds spring training one town away for years and I never made it to a single game and now they are gone. Now I really wish I had checked them out. I agree with you on the comments. I read a ton of blogs but I rarely comment on them. I love reading comments on my own and I need to comment on others more often. Starting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these resolutions. I went to Oakland and San Francisco myself last year to watch baseball games. AT&T is MUCH better than Oakland.

    Mine is head to Oklahoma to watch a Sooners football game, and possibly back to the Red River Rivalry game.

    Contests and/or events are good. As a matter of fact, the WBE Blog of Fame voting has done very well for me so far. With the right promotion, it can work for you.

    As far as your No. 10, that to me is the way to go which is why I switched domain names last year. You got the right kind of blog title to do that, too.

    Happy New Year buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine that someone who teaches calculus and statistics can come up with a contest that I will have no earthly ability to win.

    Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of going to a park that I haven't been to is a good one. It would be hard for me to do a major league one -- the closest major league city in which I haven't seen a game is Los Angeles/Anaheim. I've already been to games in Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, and Seattle. It might be easier for me to catch a minor league game -- I haven't been to games in Albuquerque or Las Vegas yet and they're both within six hours driving distance for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CCC: Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for your post.

    Coll. Troll: Yeah, it's always easier to read than it is to comment, that's for sure! However, I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment here - it's a good start!

    David: Thanks for stopping by my friend! You run a crazy (in a good way) blog over there - I stop by often! Though I need to comment more often (see a previous resolution, haha)

    Night Owl: Oh, I'm not planning on making people do caculus...but yeah, I have a couple of "math ideas" that will definitely be integrated (ha!) into the contest!

    Matt: I've only been to San Diego's park out on the west coast - which of the other parks that you've visted would you most recommend? I know San Fran's park always looks nice when it's on TV...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to any contest that would rival the Ginter Code contest.

    Can I add a resolution to your list? Throw your email into your blogger profile so I can contact you more easily about trades!

    Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to more reading and dealing in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharpe - I've taken your request into consideration, consider it done. My email is now listed under my blogger profile!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment