Featured Post

Nachos Grande Ranks MLB: #7 - Baltimore Orioles

Nachos Grande favorite MLB teams from #30 - #1.

Throughout the offseason (and possibly beyond depending on time), I thought it’d be interesting to rank the Major League Baseball teams in terms of how much I like and/or dislike them. Of course, everyone knows my favorite team is the Reds, and probably everyone knows what my least favorite team is too…and so I’ll be writing up the team reports in an arbitrary order to keep things interesting. In the end, you’ll have my entire list. Also, ALL cards shown on each team's write-up are available for trade.

#7. Baltimore Orioles

It might be a new year, but this a return to the series that I launched at the end of last year... To kick off the new year properly, I decided to take showcase a team in my Top 10 - the Baltimore Orioles.


For me, as for many people, the first thing I think of when I think of the O's is Cal Ripken Jr. I also think of Camden Yards, one of the first stadiums that I ever went to!

However, there is plenty more to Baltimore than the Iron Man. The Orioles also fleeced the Reds in acquring a supposedly washed up Frank Robinson (which isn't something I hold against the O's by the way).

The Orioles were also the team of the Major League ballplayer who lives closest to me (that I know of anyhow), Mr. Mike Mussina. Mike Mussina lives in Montoursville, PA which is only a stone's throw from where I live! Although most people probably think of the Moose as a Yankee - I'll consider him an Oriole so that I can still like him*.
*I jest of course...not really...well maybe...



And finally, the Orioles currently have a bunch of nice young players - including Nick Markakis who seems to have a pretty decent following in the blogosphere.


Team pros:
1. Baltimore is close to me - and they are divison rivals of the Yankees and Red Sox*. Besides proximity, the Orioles sport a really nice ballpark - in fact, I believe Camdem Yards is the ballpark the launched the flurry of building projects all across MLB (including in Cincinnati, thank goodness).

*two teams you'll probably never see in my top 10.


2. I kind of like the Orioles colors together - they usually make for striking baseball cards...especially in a bunch on a binder page (common with Upper Deck sets). I also like the Yellow and Black of the Pirates when viewed as a full binder page...


Team cons:


1. I don't have much negative to say about the Orioles! I guess the worst thing I can say is that they haven't been all that good the last few years...but then again, neither have my Reds so I can't hold that against the O's either!


Overall:

The Orioles are nice, solid team as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't mind rooting for them (and I love it when they beat the Yanks or Sawx).



And now, the vote goes to you dear readers - which # on my ranking would you like revealed next? (And for extra fun, can you guess which team will coincide with that number*?)
*And picking #1, #29, or #30 is simply lame. If you don't know who fills those spots you haven't been paying attention to me at all.



Nachos Grande Ranks MLB:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7. Baltimore Orioles
8.
9. Colorado Rockies
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26. San Francisco Giants
27.
28.
29.
30.

Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more on Mussina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words about the team. It's nice to know that some people outside Baltimore have a positive view of the franchise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment