Featured Post

Delivery Time! Trade with Roger from I Don't Know...Third Base

Some people card blog because they like to write.
Some people card blog because they like to show off their cards.
Some people card blog because they like to complain.
Some people card blog because they like to stand on a soap box.

I don't card blog for any of those reasons.
I'm a math guy so writing isn't my forte (to say the least - have you actually read my drivel)!?
I don't bust high end stuff, so there's not much to show off.
For the most part, I'm pretty much an easy going, slightly optimistic guy...so I don't usually complain about things.
I don't think I've got overly strong convictions that I feel a need to shout from a soap box on a constant basis...

No, rather, I blog daily thanks to the vibrant trading community that has grown around card blogs.  Since I'm a set collector, I've found the blogging community instrumental in my crazy search for missing cards that I need for sets - whether it's a couple of long lost base cards from some mid-80s Topps set or a super short printed mini card from Allen & Ginter, in the blogging world - if you write it, it will eventually come.

One such set that I've written about is the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game set.  Fellow blogger Roger from the I Don't Know...Third Base blog recently sent me a package chock full of '06 Greats of the Game cards, plus a few other cards from some of my other set want lists...including the last card from one set! 

Let's dig in:

First up, the last card I needed from the 2009 Topps Series I Wal*Mart Black Variation set:
199.  Ramon Castro

Topps definitely screwed the proverbial pooch with their greedy cash grab in Series II and Updates, but for a couple of months there Topps had done the unthinkable...they had me chasing the exact same set three different ways - including one at Target only and another at Wal*Mart only.  By finally securing Mr. Castro, my Wal*Mart hunt is over...if I could just track down the few remaining Target cards!  Speaking of which...

2009 Target Throwback Variation:
250.  Josh Hamilton

Another Throwback down, I'm now only missing #'s 3, 30, 74, 101, 181, 182, 219, 232, 238 and I'll have all three versions of Series I.  I've got no plans to chase the Series II variations however for reasons I've already detailed on my blog

Roger also sent me three cards from the 2008 UD Timeline set.  It seems like I've been working on that set forever...and I'm not sure I'll ever finish it since it seems people are no longer finding it available in stores with discounted prices!  However, I am down to only missing a few cards (#214, 228, 232, 235, 248, 262, 274, 276, 279, 288, 300, 302, 304, 308, 309, 332, 334, 336, 337, 339, 340, 341, 344, 345, 347, 356, 361, 363, 366, 373, 374, 375) so at least I'm making progress!  The cards that Roger sent were:
217.  Chipper Jones
249.  Jeremy Hermida
255.  Torii Hunter

Of course, those cards in themselves would have made this a successful trade envelope, but we're nowhere near done yet!  Roger also included a few of the 2008 Upper Deck Star Quest cards:
SQ-29 - David Wright (Super Rare)

SQ-2 - Ryan Bruan (Rare)
SQ-4 - Ken Griffey Jr. (Rare)

SQ-12 - Justin Morneau (Un-common)

And, as a last card before the aforementioned Greats of the Game, Roger included one 2009 Topps Turkey Red that I needed.
TR47.  Carlos Gomez

And finally, the initial reason why the trade started - 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game:
Base cards (I'm only missing two #53 and #71 - please check to see if you happen to have them!)
30.  Don Sutton
54.  Johnny Bench

60.  Lou Piniella
85.  Stan Musial
95.  Wade Boggs
97.  Will Clark

Nickname Greats:
NC-DE  Dwight Evans "Dewey"
NG-DM  Don Mattingly "Donny Baseball"
NG-DR  Dave Righetti "Rags"
NG-JC  Jack Clark "Jack the Ripper"
NG-SF  Sid Fernandez "El Sid"

NG-SL  Sparky Lyle "The Count"
NG-SM Sam McDowell "Sudden Sam"
NG-ST  Steve Trout "Rainbow"
NG-TR  Tim Raines "Rock"

Yankee Greats:
NYY-GN  Graig Nettles
NYY-RG  Ron Guidry

Reds Greats:
CIN-BL  Barry Larkin

Of all the cards, this is clearly my favorite one in the trade - it's the perfect card since it's both a Barry Larkin card I didn't yet own AND it is a card I needed for a set!

Decade Greats:
DEC-BM  Bill Mazeroski
DEC-JC  Jack Clark
DEC-MO  Mel Ott

DEC-SC  Steve Carlton
DEC-TR  Tim Raines

And finally, as a surprise addition!
Nickname Greats - Autograph
NG-JS  John Shelby "T-Bone"

Wow, many many thanks Roger!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to work out a trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments

  1. Glad I can help!! I'll keep checking your list to help if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can pick up a box of 2008 UD Timeline for around 30 bucks on Dave and Adam's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for that T-Bone card a while...I am working on the nickname set, so far all I have is "bye bye" Balboni (I went to games when Balboni played...no one called him that) and "El Sid"...one of the best auto sets EVER>

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment