Featured Post

Delivery Time! Cards from Blog Reader Jimmy

Back in January, one of my resolutions was to complete at least three sets on my want list.  Thanks to a recent envelope with cards in it from blog reader Jimmy, I can knock another insert set completely off my list!  Of course, with every yin comes a yang (or something like that) - and while Jimmy did indeed finish off one of my set wants, he also started me on my way towards collecting a different insert set!

2010 Topps Allen & Ginter:
World's Biggest:
WB8.  Angel Falls
The water falls about 15 times further down at Angel Falls than it does at Niagra Falls.  That alone makes me really want to go to Venezuela to see the falls...even if they are located deep inside the jungle!

For a long time, I didn't even know this insert set existed.  At first, it appeared that you could only find the World Biggest mini cards in retail blasters of Allen & Ginter.  It turned out, however, that that wasn't correctly accurate either...you could only find the first five World's Biggest minis in retail blasters.  The rest of the 25 card set (i.e. cards #6 through 25) can apparently only be found in loose retail packs of 2010 Allen & Ginter.  While I do think it is kind of cool that retail gets some special love, it annoys me slightly since I splurged and bought a hobby case of Ginter this year instead of a bunch of retail blasters and packs.  At this point, it's foolish for me to buy retail packs (especially given how huge my 2010 Allen & Ginter For Trade list is)!  Thus, I'm going to attempt the nearly impossible and try to trade for all 25 retail only cards in an effort to complete the set without buying a single retail pack.  Up to this point, I have the first five cards and now the first of twenty missing minis from the "extended" set.

2010 Topps:
Vintage Legends:
VLC9.  Ozzie Smith
Imagine how good Ozzie would have been if he didn't have to worry about scraping his arm or leg off on that awful astroturf in the old St. Louis stadium...

Ozzie was the last Vintage Legend card that I needed - I've now managed to acquire all 25 cards in this insert set.  Here is the entire 2010 Topps Vintage Legend insert set in all its glory!
I can't decide which card I like best out of the first nine, either the Mize or the Sisler...
I like the Johnny Bench card a lot - but the Jackie Robinson is almost equally awesome!
The Wagner, Cobb, and Hornsby take top honors in the final seven cards in the set.  

When looking at the set as a whole, I have to admit that I like it a lot more than I thought I would.  I think the impact of the set of substantially dulled since it was released alongside the much larger Cards Your Mother Threw Out set...  Perhaps Topps would have been better served by saving the Vintage Legends idea for the 2011 set and expanding on the concept rather than cramming the 25 card set into Series 2 alongside CYMTO.

Many thanks Jimmy!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments