Featured Post

Delivery Time! Trade with Derek from Tomahawk Chopping

I've been unable to post trade packages for a few days because my scanner was out of order.  Everything is back to normal now, so here we go!  I probably have about 10 or 11 trade packages waiting to be written up and sorted - and since I lost track of the order of their arrival, I'll pick one at random and post it this morning.

Today's envelope is from Derek over at Tomahawk Chopping.  I sent Derek a pile of Braves cards and some UD Masterpieces that he needed - in return, Derek knocked a bunch of cards off my 2011 Topps Want List including the following:

Base: 
155.  Alex Rodriguez

I don't have much to say about this card other than the fact that it is one of the last two base cards that I need for my set.  This is a checklist card - and on the flip side, you get a list of cards #ed 133 - 198.  There is one interesting tidbit on the back...  According to the checklist, the White Sox, Orioles, Mets, and Reds are registered trademarks whereas the Brewers name is only a trademark (TM) - it is apparently unregistered.


60 Years of Topps:
60YOT-16.  Tony Perez

60YOT-36.  Dennis Eckersley
60YOT-55.  Ryan Howard
60YOT-56.  Troy Tulowitzki
Another four cards off that want list - there is a possibility that I might actually be able to finish off the insert sets before Series 2 arrives.  I still doubt I'll be able to, but Derek did provide a big boost on this particular set!


Diamond Duos:
DD-PC.  Albert Pujols & Miguel Cabrera
DD-RS.  Hanley Ramirez & Mike Stanton
DD-TU.  Hisanori Takahashi & Koji Uehara

I'm not convinced the two Japanese pitchers deserve to be in the same insert set as Pujols, Hanley, and the rest of the stars.  I suppose they were good players over in Japan and so it isn't like they are unproven rookies...*cough* Stanton *cough*, but even so, it's tough to justify their inclusion.


Topps 60:
T60-4.  Gary Carter

T60-13.  Jonathan Papelbon
T60-22.  Clay Buchholz
Did you know that Gary Carter has three of the top ten single-season RBI totals by a Mets catcher?  Mike Piazza has five and Todd Hundley has two.  All ten totals are from 1985 and onward.  I wonder why Topps choose to use Carter though instead of Piazza (especially since Piazza holds the first and second place records).  In fact, Hundley holds the third highest RBI total...it's only once you look at who was fourth (and fifth) on the all-time list that you see Carter's name.  I believe it's instances like this one that have led many people to criticize the Topps-60 set (and rightfully so in my opinion)!


Vintage Reproductions:
CMGR-11.  Honus Wagner
CMGR-15.  Jimmie Foxx
CMGR-27.  Ty Cobb

I really like the first two cards, but I can't see myself every trying to get an original copy of the Ty Cobb card.  Apparently, the card is a reproduction of the 1911 General Baking Co. card of Ty Cobb.  The back of the card claims the 1914 Cracker Jack set uses the same photo of Cobb except with a gold background rather than red.  


Thanks for all the great cards Derek - you really helped put a dent in my remaining 2011 Topps Want List!  And, as always, if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments