Featured Post

I need Help! A Couple of Questions about Weird Happenings in Baseball Cards.

Id' like to take a break from the Gypsy Queen group break for a bit and see if I can get some answers to the following couple of questions.

The first is from my brother.  As you'll see shortly (since the trade post is written but not yet posted), my brother and I completed our first trade (at least, we completed our first through the mail trade - we used to trade all the time as kids but that was a lot easier since we only had to reach across the room).  Anyhow, he recently opened a box of 2011 Topps Heritage where every single pack contained a chrome refractor card...however, each chrome card was NOT serially numbered.  I had him send me a scan...

Has anyone else heard of this?  What do you make of it?  You can clearly see that the card says Refractor above the card number (and it's obviously chrome).  It's really weird - and what's even stranger is that he got one card like this in every pack (of a variety of players I might add).

Along the same lines, I have a similar question.  As you probably know, I've been chasing the diamond parallel set - and all of my diamond parallels have the ugly diamond logo thing on the card instead of the team logo.  Well, all of them have that diamond logo except for one:  David Price

This particular David Price card has the full diamond treatment but the logo shows the Rays logo rather than the diamond logo. It's obvious that the foil "ran out" or something about two-thirds of the way through the printing of this card - you can see that from the bars above and below Price's name.  Has anyone else seen cards like this though?  And, perhaps better yet, why didn't Topps do all the diamond cards like this - the team logo looks awesome (even if it does have the diamond logo imprint on it - you can only tell from an angle or if you touch the card).

Thanks for any input you can give me...and coming soon, more Gypsy Queen stuff.  Until then, take a look at some of the packs I've already busted open!

Comments

  1. I think I can answer your Heritage question. The card in question is a green refractor. Topps placed in hobby cases 1 "hot box" that contained green refractors. Each pack in the box would contain one of the refractors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don's idea works for me, but it doesn't explain the lack of serial numbering. Maybe a sheet or two of refractors missed the serial numbering treatment.

    And I think your explanation for the Diamond Anniversary works. The foil overlay sheet could have ran out, which is the most likely reason, or just been misaligned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't help with the diamond Price, interesting though. Don's right what you have there is the lowest in the chrome refractor echaelon. The unnumered green refractor. There is also the Chrome #'d to 1962, Chrome refractors #'d to 562, and the black border refractors #'d to 62, and there probably is a couple retail versions as well. I haven't opened any retail rack packs so I don't know if they are doing a retail exclusive refractor or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help all! I didn't know about the green refractors (and obviously didn't think to ask him if the cards had any shade of color to them...and he's color blind so it probably wouldn't have mattered even if I had!) I thought I knew about all of Heritage's secrets, but I guess since I didn't buy any hobby Heritage this year that one escaped my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Hot Box" is mentioned in this recent post at A Cardboard Problem.

    http://www.acardboardproblem.com/2011/04/cellophane-wrapper-not-error.html

    It would be interesting to know if your brothers box came in the upside down shrink, although I am doubtful he has a photo or remembers.

    I had an upside down shrink box but it turned out to NOT be a Hot box. story and referbacks here:

    http://phungo.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-topps-heritage-not-hot-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Don and Buddha are right - also, I just did a post today on the parallels in the set. Hot boxes (I really can't believe they use that term - come on now) come 1 per case, and every pack has 1 if you get a hot box. So 1 out of every 12 boxes has every pack - so it's essentially the same production as a 1:12 hobby-only insert.

    http://lifetimetopps.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/2011-heritage-1962-topps-parallel-sets/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I feel like an idiot for forgetting that the greens aren't serial numbered (you'd think I would know that since I have one). Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment