Featured Post

Review Week: Nachos Grande Book Club: Episode 4

Welcome back to another day of reviews!  Today, I thought I'd highlight a couple of the novels that I read over the summer.  I knew that I would have a lot of work once school started back up, so I figured I would use the summer to read a novel that's been on my shelf for awhile (all 983 pages).  I also read a second novel that was much shorter - here are my reviews!


The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

The Pillars of the Earth is a book that is essentially about a cathedral and those that build them.  However boring that may (or may not sound), the book itself is quite riveting (at least once you get past the first few opening chapters).  I don't think I've ever read a book with a villain that I've despised as much as the villain in this novel...and that itself is a great accomplishment for Follett!  I don't think anyone will read this book and wish they lived in the middle ages, and yet, there is something almost magical about that time.  Follett manages to capture both sides of that coin with the novel (as well he should seeing how the book is just shy of 1,000 pages).

Fun:  9
Pace:  7
Scholar:  5
Final Grade:   90/100



Absolute Power
By David Baldacci

Absolute Power is a novel that most would probably consider a "junk" or "beach" novel.  It's an intriguing read, and it's certainly a page turner.  There isn't, however, a lot of substance to the novel.  I found the plot twists to be mostly predictable, and while I suppose they were plausible it wasn't a particularly satisfying story on any deep level.  However, one doesn't read a Baldacci book looking for great insights or profound things to contemplate, and with that in mind, this book is a success.  (I know that sounds like a backhanded compliment, but it isn't meant to be, honest!) 

Fun:  9
Pace:  10
Scholar:  1

Overall:  90 / 100

Astute readers will notice that both books earned a 90/100 with me.  That's because I'm grading on a scale of what the book is meant to do - The Pillars of the Earth is BY FAR a better novel.  However, it is not a better novel for a quick pick-up on the beach nor is it better if you have a short attention span.  Furthermore, Absolute Power sucks the reader in almost immediately while The Pillars of the Earth takes 100 pages or so to really get going.

Comments