Featured Post

A TCDB Mailbag on One of the Best Mondays of the Year!

The Barry Larkin Card Experiment: Round 2 is Live!

Although Round 1 of the BLCE isn't quite completed, it's time to put the poll up for Round 2.  If I don't stagger the polls a bit we'll be here for much too long before we get to the more interesting rounds (winners versus winners)!  Since I rather arbitrarily decided to "seed" the first round in the exact order that I posted the first 100 cards in my Barry Larkin Collection, there isn't a lot of variety quite yet.  That will change though fairly soon as I quickly gave up on the idea of posting cards in some sort of order and instead started posting whichever card I felt like writing about on that given day.  For now though, the sequential order is maintained - so enjoy four cards from the turn of the 80s-to-90s and then remember to vote for your favorite.

As before, the top two from the group move on to the second round.

1989 Score

The 1989 Score set was fun because it had color photos on both sides of the card (Upper Deck wasn't the only set to do that)!  It was also fun because it was colorful - though those colors weren't always selected with a lot of foresight.  Take this Larkin card for example, green border, baby blue baseball field, yellow and white lettering...and then a Reds player?  It's like someone threw up Crayolas on a baseball card.

1989 Topps

If I were the sole vote in the contest, it would be awfully hard for me to pick against the 1989 Topps card simply because this is one of the first Larkin cards that I remember actually owning.  I didn't get his 1987 Topps rookie card until years later - so for me, this was his "old" card during the early part of collecting years.

1990 Donruss





Cursive names sucked as an eight year old boy...heck, cursive still sucks.  On the bright side, the card features a whole lot of red - and it looks much, much better in that sense (especially compared to the Score card above).

1990 Fleer 
 I have no idea why the 1990 Fleer set doesn't get more credit.  Sure, it's a bit bland and the card stock sucks - but the set design itself is solid!  The front has a nice picture bordered by team colors.  The back has a lot of statistics, plus "vital signs", and an interesting bio.

Unlike the first round in which I was almost 100% certain the 1987 Topps rookie card would reign supreme, I have no idea whatsoever which card will win this round.  Even more mysterious to me - which card will be second and how close will the vote be?  It's in your hand now my dear readers, don't screw it up.

Comments