Featured Post

The Barry Larkin Card Experiment: Round 3 (plus results)!

The first two rounds of the Barry Larkin Card Experiment are in the books!

Round 1 Results:

In round 1, the 1987 Topps Barry Larkin rookie card smoked the competition which basically meant it was a battle between three cards for second place (remember the top two cards from the first set of match-ups moves on to the next round).  As it is, you guys (and gals) voted a tie between 1988 Fleer and 1988 Topps.  I don't know what's wrong with the five of you who voted for the '88 Fleer card...the Topps is definitely superior so I'll use my vote to break the tie.  Congrats to both '87 and '88 Topps for moving on to the next round.

 Round 2 Results:

Round 2 saw fewer total votes (actually exactly half of round 1's total) but that might be more a case of four rather boring cards where there wasn't a lot of strong feelings for (or against).  In a rather tight vote, the 1990 Fleer card takes first place while the 1990 Donruss card barely eeks ahead of the 89 Topps and 89 Score.  Personally, I would have voted in the '89 Topps (and probably as the number one choice) but the people have spoken.  Sorry '89 Topps, it's back to junk wax status for you!

Now that the results are out of the way, let's move on to Round 3!

Here are your nominees, and once again, it's the top 2 vote getters that will move on to the next round.

1990 Score:

The 1990 Score card has a lot of good things.  The front and back photos are different.  There are plenty of statistics.  There is a really nice write-up on the back.  The Reds running man logo is featured on the front, etc.  However, there are also a few things holding this card back...the green border with yellow accents for a Reds card, yikes!

1990 Upper Deck Reds Checklist:

I've always liked team specific checklists - even more so when I was a kid so I happen to like this card quite a bit.  I don't know if a checklist card matches up particularly well in a competition like this but it wouldn't surprise me too much to see this card moving on to the next round.

1990 Upper Deck base:

Here's one card that might spell doom for the Upper Deck checklist - the actual Larkin base card from the same set!  This round is probably the most competitive of the first three rounds because I could realistically see all three cards garnering some support amongst the voters...but all three cards will have their work cut out for them if they are going to top the fourth (and final) card in this round of voting...

1991 Donruss Diamond King:

Who doesn't love Diamond King cards?  Sure, the 1991 Donruss set might not be the prettiest of all the Donruss sets, but even so, it's a freakin' Diamond King!  I'll be shocked, shocked I tell you, if this card doesn't win this round.

Those are your four nominees, now go vote on the side bar!  Thanks for your help.

Comments

  1. I was contractually obligated to vote for the Diamond King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that the '89 Topps card didn't advance? I find it humanely impossible to vote for anything from 1990 Fleer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DK: I thought you might be!

    Night Owl: I think the '89 Topps Larkin card is probably in my Top 10 all time favorites...I thought about flaunting my editorial powers and ignoring the people, but that would mostly ruin the Barry Larkin Card Experiment (and that is why I chose to call it an experiment I might add)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment