Featured Post

Debate: MLB to Expand Playoffs: Good or Bad?

With the recent news of MLB deciding to increase the playoffs by one extra slot in league, I thought it might be interesting to see what all of you thought of the move.  Be sure to let me know in the comments!

At the risk of persuading anyone to take my stance, I offer my rationale for why I like the move.

It's good because it rewards division winners.  It's good because it allows two more teams to get a (brief) taste of the playoffs.  It's good because it will probably keep more teams alive longer into the season - which means more fans will have a reason to be excited.  It's good because it ensures that MLB will have at least two "sudden death" games per year.

Of course, there are things that stink about it too...

It's not so good that a third place team could conceivably win the World Series.  Of course, that's both unlikely and, quite honestly, if a team did manage to do that they probably deserve the win anyhow.  It's not so good that two teams each year are guaranteed a single playoff game and that's it.  It's not so good that the American League teams have even more of an advantage to reach the playoffs since the National League has two extra teams (that will change next year though).  It's not so good that scheduling might be difficult - but it is good that there won't be room for as many off days and travel days - I always hate waiting through off days in the post season!

What do you think of the move?  Good, bad, or indifferent?  Let me know!

(and sign-up for my group break)

Comments

  1. I think the expanded playoffs are a good thing. More teams involved in the playoff races will make more games meaningful at the end of the season. It also gives additional benefits to those teams that win the division, which it should. Sure, the World Series Champion might be a 3rd place team, but I would rather see a team win it that is playing well at the end rather than one that limps to the title.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment