Featured Post

Topps Archives Week: A Blaster's Worth

Welcome to Topps Archives Week - a week dedicated to Topps' newest card set!  A few days ago, I highlighted one of the blasters of Archives that I bought.  As I mentioned in that post, I purchased a pair of blasters originally.  The first one was interesting - the second one (that I already showed) was quite awesome seeing how I landed this Bryce Harper Autograph card (that is currently on eBay).

Today, it's time to look at the other blaster that I originally purchased.  I will admit to having purchased a few more blasters after I landed that Harper - so you can expect to see some of the results of those later in the week.  Without further ado, let's look at the next blaster.

2012 Topps Archives:
Blaster #2:

Pack 1:
21.  Jeremy Hellickson
42.  Aroldis Chapman
76.  Victor Martinez
118.  Desmond Jennings
128.  Shin-Soo Choo
169.  Michael Morse 
180.  David Wright
217.  Luis Tiant

Other than the short printed Tiant card, that pack was a complete waste.  I've only bought and collated one blaster thus far - and yet, all 7 non-short printed cards were duplicates.

Pack 2:
13.  Mark Teixeira
71.  Jimmy Rollins
80.  Troy Tulowitzki
122.  Dustin Pedroia
125.  David Freese
172.  James Shields
175.  Justin Morneau
1967 Sticker:  67S-JM.  Joe Mauer

Two packs into the blaster and once again it's a pack full of all duplicate base cards!  At least I needed the Mauer, a small victory...

Pack 3:
5.  Freddie Freeman
34.  Jaime Garcia
62.  Hanley Ramirez
84.  Nyjer Morgan
113.  Ryan Howard
136.  David Ortiz
164.  Kevin Youkilis
Topps Reprint:  Roberto Clemente

The Clemente card was (once again) the only card I needed in the pack.  This blaster has turned out to be a complete waste of money (at least in terms of set collecting) thus far.  I am, however, working up a nice sized stack of cards to use as trade bait - a silver lining I suppose.

Pack 4:
33.  Jon Lester
44.  Cal Ripken Jr.
54.  Jemile Weeks
94.  Anibal Sanchez
101.  Adrian Gonzalez
156.  Ubaldo Jimenez
190.  Josh Hamilton
1968 Topps 3D:  Al Kaline

Stop me if you've heard this before - the only card I needed was the insert.  Grr!  I'm beginning to wonder about Topps' collation seeing how I'm four packs into only my second blaster and I haven't hit a single new base card...  Frustrating to be sure.

Pack 5:
1.  Matt Kemp

47.  Drew Pomeranz
83.  Craig Kimbrel
135.  Mike Napoli
145.  Howie Kendrick
184.  Jim Rice
192.  Brad Peacock
201.  Don Mattingly

I finally landed a new base card - the Matt Kemp.  If I were a betting man, I would bet the Bryce Harper autograph redemption card took the place of Kemp's base card in the previous blaster...Here's hoping I'm wrong though and that I do actually get a few new base cards in the last three packs of the blaster.

Pack 6:
59.  Hunter Pence
98.  Johan Santana
112.  Todd Helton
148.  R.A. Dickey
161.  Chase Utley
195.  Brandon Morrow
1977 Cloth Sticker:  77C-RJ.  Reggie Jackson

The first thing I noticed was the fact that I got ripped off in this pack - only seven cards (rather than the promised eight).  Given that piece of bad news, there was also a bit of good news - only three of the cards in the pack were duplicates!  Hooray.

Pack 7:
19.  Brandon Beachy
36.  Martin Prado
68.  Drew Storen
95.  Yoenis Cespedes
119.  Yu Darvish
151.  Stephen Strasburg
167.  Michael Pineda
1969 Deckle Edge:  69DE-11.  Carl Yastrzemski

Woah - I should have started whining even earlier in the post!  A full pack of cards that I needed - sweet!  I might be able to complete the set yet (not with this blaster, but at least I'm getting closer).

Pack 8:
8.  Matt Moore
16.  Yunel Escobar
51.  Roy Halladay
65.  Jordan Zimmermann
105.  Torii Hunter
116.  Alex Avila
1982 In Action:  82IA-TG.  Tony Gwynn

Reprint:  Eddie Murray

The 1982 In Action cards are seeded 1:32 packs making them rarer than the relic cards (which are seeded 1:30 packs)!  I don't know about you, but I find that bit of information a little weird!

All told, this wasn't a terrible blaster but it certainly wasn't a great blaster either.  I ended up with 40 duplicates which is way too many considering I had only opened one blaster prior to this one.  All of my inserts were new though, so that part is good.  Stay tuned throughout the week - there will be plenty more Topps Archives posts coming up!

Comments

  1. I have a decent stack of duplicate base cards. Drop me your want list if you want to make a trade.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment