Featured Post

Delivery Time! Some More Ginter in the Mailbox!

My trading pace is well below that of last year, but that doesn't mean I'm not trying!  Nick (from Baseball Dime Box) helped me inch closer to the 2011 trade total with a recent swap.  He and I essentially traded a small pile of 2012 Allen & Ginter - a set that hasn't seemed to excite the blog-o-sphere quite as much as in years past (more on that idea in a different post).

Anyhow, back to the trade.  Nick sent me a pair of the code cards that I still needed.  Mr. Chase McMurphy (who was a jerk according to the card) and little Cynthia Pritchard (a stereotypical cheerleader if there was ever one).  I don't know who committed the murder at Willow Cove (and I doubt these two cards will help me figure it out) but it's still a fun idea.  I would have liked it better if you only needed the 50 code cards to solve the mystery but I have a feeling you also need to follow the countless Twitter feeds for all the characters in the mystery.  I did discover that the two cards Nick sent me went together in terms of the newspaper on the backs of the cards - here's a scan to help any code breakers out there.

Along with the code cards, Nick also sent me four mini cards.  The first was David from the People of the Bible subset.

I think the David card could use a bit more color - or at least a darker print so that you could more easily make out both David and Goliath.  At least David doesn't have a Twitter feed.

From David and the Goliath to an actual living goliath:  a Right Whale.

I like the whale set but I wish Topps would have included some actual information about the creature on the back of the card rather than the set checklist.  I know that the original A&G cards from the 1800s all had checklists on the back but still, it seems kind of lazy now!

The last two minis were a regular back mini of Ara Parseghian and a black bordered mini of Ben Revere.

When Nick and I agreed to the trade, I was contemplating trying for the black bordered set as well as the regular mini set.  Unfortunately (or maybe it is fortunately), I have decided to give up my quest for the black bordered cards (except for Reds) so this Revere is up for trade already!

Thanks for the trade Nick - and as always, if anyone else would like to trade, check out my want list and make an offer!

Note:  I (obviously) wrote this post well before the Ginter code was cracked.  With all the contest posts on my blog, this particular post kept getting pushed back.  I didn't want to push it back any further...and I didn't have time to rewrite it, so just pretend that the Ginter Code hasn't been cracked and it'll be all good!

Comments