Featured Post

More 1889 Allen & Ginter Fish Cards!

As most of my readers probably already know, I'm a huge Allen & Ginter fan.  Thanks to an impulse buy a few months ago, that love of Ginter no longer only applies to this century.  After finding an original Ginter card for cheap, I decided to try and collect one of the original sets - namely, 50 Fish from American Waters.

Before my latest purchase, I had 9 of the 50 fish in my possession.  Quite honestly, having 18% of a 123 year old set complete seemed impressive to me.  Now, I'm pleased to say that I have 11 of the 50 fish in my possession which brings my total up to 22% complete.

My newest additions include the Grouper:

The Eel (which is technically not a fish as far as I know):

I also was able to nab my first "upgrade"  for the set.  I had an Flying Fish card that was creased through the middle...
...now I have one that's not creased!

I haven't decided what to do with the old Flying Fish card - it'll probably end up on eBay unless someone wants to make an offer for it now.

I happen to love this set quite a bit - and I'll be ecstatic if I am ever able to complete the entire set.  Of course, I can't seem to complete the various insert sets from the 2008 - 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter sets so I probably shouldn't hold my breath for a set that is over 100 years old!

You can find my full collection of fish cards on this page.  

Comments

  1. A vintage non-sport tobacco set is always a great to put together and usually substantially cheaper than putting together a similar era sport (primarily baseball) tobacco set.

    I've completed a N59 Flags of the World and am working on a N29 Hassan Animals set, which I'm about halfway through.

    In finishing these sets, I've found a couple things especially helpful.

    1. Buy lots. Unlike sportscards, people are more likely to put together lots of these cards at affordable prices, which cuts down the shipping and allows you to find some cards easier than the single card by single card hunt.

    2. Become knowledgeable. For non-sports tobacco cards, I tend to frequent http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/, which contains information, as well as buying and selling of all sorts of non-sports cards. Knowing which cards were more difficult in the N59 set allowed me to identify those difficult cards early on and find ways to get those sooner or at least know, I was likely going to need to pay a little more to get those when they became available.

    Nonetheless, non-sport tobacco cards are a wonderful adventure and a set accomplishment definitely worth completing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment