Featured Post

Lego Minifigures: Series 9 Announced (and Full Review)!

As many of my readers probably know, I've begun to collect the LEGO minifigures from the various series.  Currently, LEGO has released eight different series, but they recently announced Series 9.  Using images from their Facebook page, here is my review of the Series 9 Minifigures by LEGO.


Alien Avenger:

The various Space Fighters and aliens from the minifigure sets are some of the least interesting figures (at least to me).  That said, this little guy appears to be ripped from the game Halo (or some similar game) so I am sure that there will be plenty of people who will chase after the alien avenger.

Battle Mech:

I'm not well-versed in Star Wars, but this guy sure looks like he belongs in a LEGO version of the movie.  I have to give LEGO credit for the fun background images (again, all photos from LEGO's Facebook page).


Chicken Suit Guy:

The chicken suit guy follows the tradition that LEGO has started with a minifigure in "costume."  Other examples include the Easter Bunny and the dinosaur from previous sets.  It might not be the most exciting figure (why no duck feet?) but it's still humorous.

Cyclops:

There are a bunch of figures in Series 9 that I think are awesome, this is one of them!  The club is great and of course the single-eyed head (with horn) is neat looking as well.  The head model appears to be similar to the Minotaur from a previous series where the head is its own entity rather than a "mask" over the typical yellow LEGO head.

Forest Maiden:

I can't help but think that this particular model is designed to appeal to those who loved The Hunger Games. I suppose Katniss didn't have a shield but you could certainly see how Hunger Games fans will scoop this character up.

Fortune Teller:
The Fortune Teller is a rather unique character, though not one that I personal have a lot of interest in.  I suppose it could be a recurring character should I ever do my blog in a way that combines baseball (or football) prognosticating with LEGO minifigures.

Heroic Knight:

When I was a kid, I was crazy for all the castle LEGO sets.  I think I had two or three of the smaller castles (I could never afford the biggest castles) plus lots and lots of the smaller castle sets (often in duplicate or triplicate).  I would have loved to have had an army of the heroic knights back in the day!

Hollywood Starlet:
One of the great things about the LEGO minifigure series is that each series has a figure or two that is specifically designed for a certain population.  I think it's clear that I'm not the target audience for a red carpet walking beauty...but I do dig blonde women.

Judge:

Of all the figures in Series 9, I think the judge is the funniest!  His powdered wig and gavel make him look so regal, and yet...he's LEGO.  Good stuff here!  I'm glad to see it's not just mythical characters and warriors in the set (in fact, there a bunch of "regular" jobs represented this time around).

Mermaid:
Another blond lady!  The mermaid comes with a starfish which will make those who construct beach/ocean scenes happy.  I can imagine plenty of people will "steal" the poor mermaids hair and use it to spice up one of their other minifigures instead.

Mr. Good and Evil:
Each minifigure series seems to have some sort of villain or monster in it (previous sets have included vampire bats, mummies, and a Frankenstein-inspired creature).  I think this figure is made complete by the mysterious blue beaker!

Plumber:
I mentioned earlier that I like having a few "regular" jobs represented in the minifigure series.  The plumber is a riot with his gigantic plunger - talk about having to do a dirty job.

Policeman:
I would imagine that most LEGO collectors already have plenty of policeman so I don't know why LEGO decided to use up one of their 16 slots with yet another cop.  If I had to guess, I would think that this figure will end up being one of the least sought-after characters in series 9 (even though there's nothing wrong with the figure itself).

Roller Derby Girl:
Apparently roller derby is a big deal around a decent portion of the country.  However, to the best of my knowledge, no even roller blades (or roller skates) anywhere near where I live.  As such, I think this is #16 (out of 16) in terms of my want list for series 9.

Roman Emperor:

While I may not have any interest in the roller derby girl, I have LOTS of interest in the roman emperor!  I love ancient Greek and Roman history, so this particular figure is a must have for me when the set is released.

Waiter:

Finally, we end with the waiter who (surprisingly to me) has a bottle of wine on his tray.  I would have thought that perhaps LEGO would have shied away from alcoholic props but kudos to them for NOT being overly politically correct.

So there you have it, the newest set of 16 LEGO minifigures, coming to shelves near you soon (I think?).  Which figure(s) will you be chasing?

Comments

  1. Roller Derby RULES! It's real big in the rust belt and so I'm a big fan.

    As for heroic knight, agreed, I too as a kid loved the castle sets. My favorite was the Wolf set though, those guys were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to get a roller chick for the Troll. And that plumber is the bomb. Need a pic of that figure from the rear. If it's showing plumber's crack, I will put Lego in my will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Plumber is the best!

    And just because of that try this Christmas wallpaper ;)
    http://wallpaperswide.com/christmas_shopping_2-wallpapers.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the mermaid. To go with my ocean dude.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment