Thursday, January 10, 2013

Group Break: A Trio of Finest (Because Four's a Crowd, not Three)

Sometimes its hard to write the beginning blurb before I show the contents of the group break packs.  I often wonder if anyone ever reads these things anyhow.  I once had an English professor in college who would automatically take 5 points off for every "illegal" word we used in our papers.  The word "these" was one such word - "feel" was another.  I don't remember a lot of stuff from my non-mathematics courses in college, but I still remember most of the illegal words.  To this day, I cringe whenever I use them - or anyone else for that matter.  Ok, enough of that.  Let's rip packs.

2000 Topps Finest:
Pack 8:
167.  Octavio Dotel - Astros
175.  John Olerud - Mariners

185.  Juan Gonzalez - Tigers
212.  Chuck Knoblauch - Yankees
230.  Eddie Yarnall - Yankees
239.  Peter Bergeron - Expos

Normally, in a pack without any sort of inserts or parallels, the team with the most cards gets the pack win.  In this case, the Yankees have two players - but one is Knoblauch (who went crazy) and Yarnall (who sounds like a folk singer rather than a baseball player).  As such, I'm giving the pack win to the Mariners because I've always liked Olerud.  So there.

Pack 9:
205.  Craig Biggio - Astros

213.  Moises Alou - Astros
216.  Javy Lopez - Braves
227.  Brad Penny - Marlins
235.  Rafael Fucal - Braves
236.  Dee Brown - Royals

The Astros get their second pack win of the break - which puts them one win away from the group break lead (only the Padres have three pack wins thus far).  Who'da thunk it?

Pack 10:
155.  Frank Thomas - White Sox

161.  Andy Ashby - Phillies
179.  Jeff Cirillo - Rockies
180.  Gabe Kapler
224.  Dante Bichette - Reds
246.  Milton Bradley - Expos

Oh man, another pack that's tough to pick a winner for.  I guess the White Sox get the victory - even if we've already pulled two of the exact same Thomas card earlier in the break.  


Carl Crawford Cards said...

I've always thought collation on Finest was pretty weak. In 2001 I opened several boxes and STILL had to buy cards to complete the 100-card base set. Ugh.

Post a Comment