Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

Pack Wars: Updating the Standings after an Update Pack

Group break update:  Before getting to the next pack in the pack war - I encourage you to check out my group break.  I began accepting sign ups yesterday - the sooner the break fills, the sooner I can start busting products that are a lot more exciting than 2011 Topps!!  I now return you to the Pack Wars!

*****

I'm having a lot of fun with the Pack Wars - hopefully you are having fun reading along.  I must admit that this past week has been good for my blog in terms of post output - it sure helps not having to go to work for the week.  Unfortunately, the college where I work begins the spring semester on January 7th so I'm guessing my blogging output will slow down around then!  I'm already forced to think about pesky things like creating a syllabus and assignments for each of my classes.

Pack Wars II - Pack 12:
2011 Topps Update (12 cards):

This is the second (of three) 2011 Topps Update packs in the repack box.  The first Update pack posted an underwhelming score of +6.  Will this pack fare any better?

US326.  Trevor Bell - Angels
I think my biggest problem with the Update set is that there are too many players that I don't know anything about.  I did collect the base 2011 Topps set but I didn't bother with the Update set...so far, I'm not regretting that decision.  +0 points

US189.  Wilson Valdez - Phillies
Valdez was a Red last year, but not a very good one.  In fact, I didn't like him much at all.  -2 points.

US303.  Juan Uribe - Dodgers

The powder blue uniforms make it look like Uribe is playing for the Royals rather than the Dodgers but it's still a cool shot (and it's something different which I appreciate from time to time).  +2 points

US200.  Vladimir Guerrero - Orioles
Seeing Vlad as an Oriole still feels wrong.  -1 point

US225.  David DeJesus - Athletics
Everyone's favorite autograph from 2011 Gypsy Queen, right?  -2

US197.  Brandon League - Mariners
I like that Topps managed to get a little blurb about the current season on the back of League's card. At least it's making use of the late printing for the Update series.  +2

Cognac parallel:  US160.  Victor Martinez -Tigers

I'm hoping someone will want to trade for this - I'm guessing someone will since it's a pretty nice card.  +2

Cognac parallel:  295.  Jon Jay - Cardinals

Another pack with a pair of Cognac parallels.  I'm not going to complain about that...even if it is a Cardinal.  Luckily, I trade with a few different Cardinal fans so this will find a loving home eventually.  +2 points

US230.  Miguel Cabrera - Tigers
Cabrera is a beast, that is all.  +2

US85.  Roy Halladay - Phillies
Halladay is also a beast, albeit a pitching beast instead of a big bat like Cabrera.  +2

US140.  Clayton Kershaw - Dodgers

I pull so many Kershaw cards that I'm beginning to think I should start collecting him!  +3 because I kind of like Kershaw anyhow (except when he pitches against my Reds of course).

US49.  Rickie Weeks - Brewers
I didn't mind the fact that the Brewers were basically an afterthought in the 2012 division race.  Here's hoping for more mediocrity in 2013 Milwaukee!  +1 points

Pack Total:  11 points

Not a bad total I guess considering the pack itself was sort of dull (and Reds free).  The total is firmly "middle of the road" thus far and a five point improvement over the first update pack I opened.


Pack Wars II Current Standings:
+19:  2011 Allen & Ginter (6 card pack)
+16:  2011 Topps Series 2 (8 card pack)
+15:  2011 Topps Series 1 (12 card pack #2)
+14:  2011 Topps Series 1 (12 card pack #1)
+14:  2010 Topps Series 2 (12 card pack #1)
+11:  2011 Topps Update (12 card pack #2)
+10:  2008 UD Timeline (6 card pack #1)
+09:  2008 UD Timeline (6 card pack #2)
+07:  2006 Topps Series 2 (6 card pack)
+06:  2011 Topps Update (12 card pack #1)
-05:  2011 Topps Series 1 (12 card pack #3)
-16:  2011 Topps Series 2 (12 card pack #2)

Comments