Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

A Big 'Ol Trade Box - Part 3 (Top 10 Cards)

Welcome to the third (and final) post regarding a recent trade package from Dennis over at Too Many Verlanders.  You can can find the first entry here and the second entry here if you missed them.  Last time I showed off a bunch of cards that couldn't quite crack the Top 10 (non-Larkin) cards in the box.  Today, it's time for the Top 10 Best Cards in the Box:

As usual, I'll be counting down from 10 to 1 with my witty* commentary.

*individual results may vary

#10:  Bowman (something):  Brandon Phillips

I feel compelled to mention that I know nothing about Bowman every time I show a Bowman card on my blog.  You might think that I would take the time to learn about the brand rather than simply repeat the same 'ol refrain every time.  You might think that, but you'd be wrong.

As for the first card in my Top 10, I don't know what to say exactly.  On another day, I might have put any one of these cards in its place but hey, it was Bowman's day.  And, as you'll soon see, this isn't the only Bowman card in the Top 10!

#9:  Topps American Pie:  Dave Concepcion

Concepcion appears to be about 14 years old in the photo but it's still a nice card.  I think I really like it because of the border - it's full of mugshots of famous players which is rather unique.  I also like the fact that Concepcion is going old school with only a single batting glove (clearly marked with his jersey number no less).

#8:  Donruss Elite:  Donnie Joseph  #087/200

The people at Donruss must have hated team collectors back in the day (and by back in the day I mean 2009).  How else can you explain the (seemingly) millions of parallels and serially numbered monstrosities?  At least this card is cool looking - and die-cut!  It's super shiny too, that's probably what lured me in.  I'm like a fish or something.  Good thing there's no barbed hook in the card.

Moving on.

#7:  Bowman Chrome:  Aroldis Chapman

Ok, technically this isn't a Reds card.

Technically, a human being isn't supposed to be able to throw a baseball 104 miles per hour.

With Chapman, technicalities need not apply.  The dude is a beast, I can only hope he can become a stud starting pitcher this year.

#6:  UD Decade 1970s:  Ken Griffey Sr.

Admittedly, I thought this was a boring card at first.  But then I noticed the wall behind Griffey.  Here, take a closer look:

Yeah, some sort of cinder blocks or something - but terribly built!  The blocks over Griffey's left shoulder (or the right of the card) appear to all be stacked one directly on top of the other.  Not a structurally sound wall, and yet Griffey Sr. sits there posing for the camera like the tough guy that he is.

#5:  Topps Turkey Red:  Johnny Bench

I don't care if I've seen this card a ton of times before, it's still cardboard gold.  I bet Johnny just threw out a base runner who was foolish enough to try and steal second.  Heck, Bench probably gave him a 20 foot head start and still threw him out (but to the base runner's credit, Bench stood up to throw him out unlike many of his vanquished foes).

#4:  Bowman (something):  Aroldis Chapman

It's not often a Reds fan can be excited about Reds pitching.  I'm not entirely sure how the Chapman-to-starter plan will work but I do think it's the right thing to try.  As for the card, well, it's a Chapman rookie (I'm guessing Bowman rookie cards count as "real" rookies right)?  No matter, it's an awesome card.

#3:  Same Bowman as Before:  Joey Votto

I couldn't have a Top 10 without having Mr. Canada make an appearance, eh?  Oh Jo-eh, you know I jest with your Canadianess.  The other day, Team Canada had an exhibition game against the Reds.  I thought Joey Votto should DH for both teams since he is on the roster for both teams.  Alas, he did not.

#2:  1971 Topps:  Frank Duffy & Milt Wilcox

My pre-1980 baseball card collection is severely sparse so anytime I get something from before the year of my birth ('82), I'm a happy guy.  Most of the time, a card like this would land the #1 spot in the countdown...but this particular countdown is different...

...and before I get to the #1 card, let me say this.

If you had told me three years ago that I'd pick this player as the subject for the best card in a trade package, I would have told you the trade package must have sucked.

#1:  2004 Topps:  Homer Bailey

That's right, Mr. Bailey takes home the top spot in the countdown.  For the longest time, Bailey was all promise and no results (sans when pitching against the Pirates).  However, last year he finally started to show signs of maturity - namely that he could pitch well against teams not named Pittsburgh.  Of course, he continued pitching well against Pittsburgh too...so much so he no hit them near the end of the year.  I have high hopes for Homer this year - so much so that I used my pitcher keeper pick on him in my fantasy baseball league (don't ask, my rotation wasn't great last year).

Once again, thanks for the great trade Dennis!  I've had a lot of fun pouring over all the cards!  And, as usual, if anyone else would like to trade - check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments