Featured Post

Group Break: 2002 Fleer Maximum: Serially Numbered and Totally Beat Up.

This morning's first pack of Topps Gold Label brought us our first card seeded 1 per box or rarer.  Will we capture lightning in a bottle twice on the same day?  Let's find out together as I crack open the third box of the break, 2002 Fleer Maximum.

Pack 1:
86.  Bret Boone - Mariners

Wow, one card in and I see a potential problem with this box - major sticking between the cards.  Also, the corners of most of the cards in this pack are dinged up - I hope that's because this pack was on top of the box and not actually a sign of things to come.
96.  Mike Lowell - Marlins
5.  Jeff Bagwell - Astros
58.  Bobby Abreu - Phillies

29.  Shawn Green - Dodgers
71.  Reggie Sanders - Diamondbacks
257.  Roberto Alomar - Mets

I believe this is a Maximum Impact subset (and if so, they are seeded 1 per pack).
14.  Juan Gonzalez - Indians
167.  Ruben Sierra - Rangers
196.  Derrek Lee - Marlins
138.  Richard Hidalgo - Astros
129.  Mark Mulder - Athletics
150.  Jon Leiber - Cubs
105.  Jason Marquis - Braves
134.  To the Max Parallel:  Jacque Jones - Twins #286/289
This card looks much nicer in person to be honest.

The To the Max parallel set for veterans is serially numbered for each player up the players' top single-season batting average or strikeout totals.  Since Jones batted .289 in 1999, he ends up with 289 different parallel cards.  It's an amusing concept, though not exactly one that makes a heckuva lot of sense if you think about it.

I also have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the chipping on the cards - they all are pretty beat up if I'm being honest.  Hopefully, the chipping is only present in the top packs of the box but I guess time will tell.

As for the break, we are only four packs but almost every team is accounted for.  By my tallies, only the White Sox, Rockies, Royals, Angels, Brewers, pirates, Padres, Giants, Cardinals, and Rays are without at least one card.  That's not too shabby considering how few packs we've opened.

PS:  Don't worry, I won't be doing the entire group break one pack at a time!  I simply like to give people a day or two to make trades with their random teams...and I hate to open too many packs before teams are "set" for all participants.  Also, I still need payment from one or two people so please get that in before the break goes any further!  Thanks.

Comments